How up to date is Microsoft Certifications?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Darkfall, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Darkfall

Darkfall New Member

my question is regarding how up to date the certification tests are. I'm currently almost done studying MS-900 and have done some practice tests from both here and other sources. A lot of the questions where written some time ago and a lot has changed since then. Some questions gets marked as wrong due to my answer being up to date according to docs.Microsoft but was incorrect when the test was written/updated and new features has came out since etc.
    How much of this old sort of outdated questions can be expected to be in the actual certification tests since it's a rather big deal for the result.

Thank you in advance for your reply and insights into this

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Microsoft maintains a pool of relatively oblique questions and circulates them. Between the slightly out of date and the confusingly worded ones, you will almost certainly have to deal with at least one where you have to choose between 4 unequally incorrect answers. That just comes with the territory in this stuff and if you don't let it get into your head you will do fine.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Darkfall

Darkfall New Member

My biggest concern is just that some of the question such as "witch of these apps is not supported by function Y" and the answer is something that was not supported "then" but is supported now, meaning that the info you study is incorrect for the exam, but correct outside of the cert.

4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Anyone who takes any MS exam usually has a strong suspicion that something like that did happen, but you never know for sure. Really some people do get caught up in that, it gets in your head and gets in the way. I went down the rabbit hole once when MS put 4 different wrong answers to a question about the route add statement in Windows, I should have just got on with it and not worried (failed that test by about 4 points, still grumpy after 10 years).

Just budget to get a couple of questions wrong because of some other guy's mistake instead of your own, and try not to think about it too much is my recommendation. But the real exam should have less of this stuff than any practice exam you are likely to take, so it should be cool.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Wouldn’t get too stressed about that – there may be a couple of questions that are dated but nothing to worry about.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs