How to start off?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Med, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Med

Med Bit Poster

Im working towards my MCSA, first exam will be in a week or two (270) and Im looking to apply for a job straight off the bat, and then continue to do the other 3 exams. This will the only qualification i'll have, I dont have any real experience either, is it worth applying for jobs at this stage, and what roles should I be aiming for?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... Microsoft recommends months of server administration experience before pursuing the MCSA. Without experience, the MCSA won't do you a great deal of good getting into server administration... and the exams will be much more difficult for you than if you had gotten experience first.

I'd recommend the same thing to you as I'd recommend to anyone without experience, certified or not: apply for entry-level jobs that don't require experience. I'd also recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST, which are great exams for people just getting started in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No many jobs ask for FA experience though, take a chance with the 6 months to a year experience type jobs as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Med

Med Bit Poster

Thanks for the replys, really should have went for the MCDST first, how long does it take to complete that course on average? might even try for that before I complete the MCSA then.

6. BosonMichael

FA experience?

Sure, you can take a chance with the 6 months to a year experience jobs... you might get lucky! But don't be surprised if you don't get them... all it takes is one person with experience, and you're suddenly the "next-best candidate". That's why the first IT job is the hardest to get.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I agree the chances of getting a job requiring experience are slim but it is worth a shot. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael

No idea what the average is... I didn't study at all because I had experience. Others might be able to pass them in a few weeks... while it might take others a full year. It's largely up to you... and I would be doing you a disservice if I told you how many weeks it should take you. I recommend this advice for everybody, and for every exam: study until you understand the concepts completely. No more, no less.

Go to a bookstore and look through the 70-271 book, and see how long you think it'll take you. :)