How to start c# programming carrier

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by alibaba1, Nov 22, 2007.

1. alibaba1

alibaba1 New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have recently finished my masters and i have done programming in c/c++, VC++. Now as i see the market in london is more of a .net and c# based i want to start my programming carrier in c# or .net. Can you guys please guide me what is the best book to start with which should be enough to get me a job in c#.

My area of intrest is Windows application development ( thats because i think there is more moeny and opportunities in it. i dont want to be a web developer!!!)

Can you please also guide me weather there are more jobs in london for c# or .net.
    When i search cwjobs.co.uk i think c# seems to be hot favourite. Also what technology should i study which i most demanding in c#. i have a c# book with the name of Professional c# but thats 2005 edition so i think it might be obsolete as vs2008 is coming up.

i dont know anything about .net . can you also recomend me a .net book?

i will be eagerly waiting for your response as i want to be a c# ,.net programmer and want to break through in market as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alibaba1

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

How to start a programming carrier? Getting it into the water would be a good start.

Oh, that's aircraft carriers. :biggrin

Umm.... Are you really asking which one book will teach you enough to become a proficient developer? That's what I'm reading in your post, and if that's what you really mean, well, you have a big surprise ahead of you. There is no one book that can teach you everything you need to know to become a good developer.

There's a reason good developers make a lot of money. It's because it's a difficult job, and it takes a long time, and a lot of knowledge, to become really good at it. The really good developers that I know of have been at it for years, and have certainly read more than one book.

Ask Harry Broomhall, DMarsh, and a few of the other accomplished developers on this site how many books they have read on programming.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you already know C\C++ and VC++ you should already know alot about windows and have a pretty good idea where to start, for instance I'd expect you to at least of heard of 'Managed C++' etc.

Get a good book on the core C# language and the CLR, and get a good book on the .Net framework and start programming. Try creating different types of apps, try DB access, IO, threading etc. The MCAD/MCPD sylabus is quite good but does assume you already have a base to build on.

I have these two on the core language (plus I also have the MS MCPD Windows Training Guides) :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professiona...d_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195759575&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming...r_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195759626&sr=8-22

But to be honest they are both not so good, so I wouldn't reccomend em !

Maybe try this one :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NET-Special...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195759575&sr=8-3

But as trip said be prepared to read a LOT more ! In fact you'll probably need to be reading at least 4 programming books a year for the rest of your career to just stay in the game. :biggrin

4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I've seen so many go for a language because they believe that it where the money is. Where the money is is in being a very proficient developer who is able to learn very quickly, as well as break problems down into comprehensible steps.

You said you've coded in C++ (and its variants), but have not indicated if this is part of your academic work or personal projects. If you are hoping to go through a few books in the belief that it will make you marketable, you are sadly mistaken. I'm in games an have a very big library of books with the bulk purchased over the last two years, and I read them instead of magazines and newspapers.

Give us a little more depth about your history so that more focussed responses can be given. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. alibaba1

alibaba1 New Member

Thanks very much indeed for your responses.

All programming i've done so far is part of my acadamic studies. My bachlors is in Mathematics and physics and i've done masters in computers science.

i've done small c/c++ projects during my studies and my final project was in Pro*C/C++ on linux plateform using QT for visual interfacing.

What im seeking is an entry-level role as i know that i have'nt got experience to be a professional programmer. But for sure thats something i can develop with the passege of time.

What i want to know is what steps or studies or excercises i should go through which can polish me enough to be a graduate c#, .net programmer.

Also please mention which book is the best for c# and .net at the moment for me to study and what area is hot in the market. i.e is it .net remoting security etc. what to study.

i can see so many project on codeproject or planet source code but they dont give me enough insight to learn the technology or language as i have'nt written the code.

i want to write code to learn the technology. i want to spend 2-3 months time on c# or .net beofre i go for interviews in market. i m not afraid of reading many books.

Regards,

Alibaba