How To Prepare For the OS Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I have read through all of the chapters the are related to the A+ OS exam. And when I take the practice tests that come with the Mike Meyers book I pass with a high score. But when I take other practice tests I dont score as well and I encounter alot of question that I didnt even read about in the Mike Meyers book. What should I do? I have been memorizing some of the answers because most of the time I understood the question and answer. But one practice test made by comptia one with 300 + questions made me think I have more studying to do.

P.S. Can anyone give me some guidelines on how to rephrase questions that I see on various other practice test.
    I would sure appreciate it. I am finding alot of questions that are not on the practice test that come with the mike meyers book.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Odd - I thought CompTIA only produced a few practice questions. Can you give a link for this set of 300+ please?

If you get a good score with the MM book then I'd say that you are nearly ready.

Can you give us the flavour of the questions from elsewhere that you say aren't in the MM book? i.e. - the sort of topics involved.
    Are you sure that these questions are for the 2003 objectives and not for an earlier set?

When I was doing A+ I found a *lot* of questions round the 'net that were for earlier objectives on topics not really covered by MM because it wasn't in the current set of objectives.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

The problem with studying one set of questions is that you just end up memorising that set, so it gives you a false score, as you saw when ya tried a different set. Have you tried these questions? http://www.examcram2.com/practice_exams/exam.asp?p=170350&rl=1
    Also, might be worth getting the transcender tests, they helped me alot when i done my A+. The good thing about them are that they give you a breakdown of your weak areas, so you know what areas you need to do extra study in.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Hey Falken,listen up dude..

There are only so many ways to ask the same question,kapiche?

So,as long as you know the material it doesn't matter how the question is presented,the answer is the same right?

I remember the exact same thoughts going through my head as I approached my exams and in particular the OS exam,passing and failing all sorts of different online tests I put myself in a 50-50 situation and feared the worst..:blink .However,having downloaded the objectives from CompTIA and reviewing each and every one I knew I was ready,regardless of the outcome of the plethora of practice tests I was taking.This is what you need to do fella,understand the objectives and just as importantly keep your confidence up.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi PF, how long you been studying now? I reckon you're well ready!!
    Kat:D

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Prof,

If you haven't already done so, sign up for the Club with Exam cram - they will e-mail you a different question everyday.

I have to say, I don't disagree with what has been said, but I feel there are two parts that I want before I sit an exam.

I must feel confident in all objectives. I must practice my *exam technique*for that particular exam - ie Transcender questions.

They seem to have the knack (soon to be matched? :D ) of making things awkward - like the exam in question.

I remember some of the 270 questions I had; the hardest part about some of them was trying to work out (use the wipe board) what they were asking of me!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hmm. I wonder. :biggrin

Considering the authors in question back in the day, you might be right. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for making me realise my weak points :thumbleft

So far, Tranny hasn't let me down. I take ten questions at a time and review all the answers regardless of right or wrong. If I get 8 correct I take more. If not, back to the drawing back. I don't want to memorise the 180 questions, but know the material to fatham which is the correct answer :biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Glad to be of assistance. :)

There are no writers left from the original staff who were there when Transcender was bought by Self Test in Dec '03. I believe there are only 4 ex-Transcender employees left there, companywide.

On the other hand, BrainBeacon's got a few of the old guard creating content. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Raffaz

You might wanna rephrase that, people might get the wrong idea:twisted:

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Mick,

Not sure I understand mate. I study until I feel confident and then sit down with Transcender and choose 10 random questions. If I score 8, I know I am on the correct track. If not, back to the books/lab. After a few exams Tranny's graph for exam history will be clear - you can see what areas you score high and low.

Si

12. Raffaz

The word tranny lol :)

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh! he he. :D

14. Raffaz

Im guessing my mind is just more twisted than yours mate :)

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can confirm that mate - no need to guess :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

If we can get back on topic :offtopic

Prof: mate this isn't a big deal. Geez, you been around here for coming on two years.

Go and sit the f*cking exams man! They're easy!

If you can't cut it by now then you never will.

Sorry if this is an arse kick but for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

No offense but... Get the f*ck on with it!

Do It dude.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes Juice's post is not the most diplomatic one that I have read. However, IMHO he is correct in what he is saying.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I'm not so sure that memorizing the questions is going to help you pass the exam Mate.

IMHO I would write down the areas you are weak on and concentrate on these. If you unsure which bit are your weak points then try this software, it's chaeper than transcenders and it shows which are your weak points:-

http://www.vnpublishing.com/

they offer free upgrades.

Alternatively you could just carry on using the software you have got and then post your questions on weak areas here. I am sure the CF community would put you mind to rest:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  19. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Actually, that VNP package looks quite good for the price (about a tenner in Welsh money). It's certainly not the most fancy interface but the demo questions seem very good and in very much a CompTIA style of presentation, I might give this one a go actually..N1 Cheeck.8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some parts of the A+ exam are require you to memorise tables of IRQs or pins for types of cables but you need to be able to troubleshoot (virtually) a problem and eliminate some of the potential answers if you want to pass the exam.

I recall posting this in one of your other threads.

Why not set a date for the exam this week? It will put your mind at rest and give you something to aim towards. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs