how to move from a service desk?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by vhb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a service desk for almost 4 years now and I must say I have learned lots but I feel that I have hit a plateau in my career, meaning that I am not learning anything new and interesting for about 8 months.

I do most my studies by myself and try to obtain certifications when I feel confident enough however certifications or even willingness to learn doesnt seem to be enough to get me forward in my career. I really like working with routers switches and voip systems but I only get to do a few things on them at my current workplace and I feel that I could be contributing so much more to my employer.

I dont know where on this earth I will be able to obtain more experience with servers,firewalls, routers, switches if I am not given the chance. Most jobs I have seen require Senior network engineers with X numbers of years under their belts but I see no oportunity for guys like me that are trying to make the trasition to a junior 3rd level. I dont expect someone to let me just walk in and touch the network this would be crazy.

My questions is: Is everything just down to luck? being at the right place at the right time.

Can I do something else in order to steer my career in the direction I want? perhaps install some virtual machines and plug away at servers everyday

Do I have to find another employer that will put my skills to better use?

Sorry for the long text I am just a bit frustrated.
    cheers
    VHB

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  2. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Ok im not working in the filed or nothing still just learning.

But have you spoken with you boss yet about how you are felling. If not why not give it a try and see what they say im sure they would want to get the best out of you and it would prob work out better for them employing some one already in house if a post was to come up.

Sate that you are keen to move forward with with them.

I mean the worst that can happen is they say no and then you will just have to look for another way to get to where you want to go. you cant let this hold you back from where you want to be.

I would gather as much info and evidence to show you are capable of doing the job. arrange a meeting and take it from there.

what do you think, and good luck..

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Each IT Department or Company is different in what level they let people get involved with.
    Ssome have specific positions just to look after infastructure some dont. With out putting it too simply you just need to find a job that lets you get more involved with networking.
    Such as start off by doing the easier stuff, maybe helping on any networking projects until you build up experience and they then ask you do to do the project yourself or give you the complex networking tickets.

So maybe a role similar to your current one but with the understanding that you can get more involved with the areas you want too.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just get applying for jobs!!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Sure, there IS some "right place at the right time" luck involved... but you have to work at it to BE in the right place at the right time. The opportunities aren't going to just come to you.

It has often been said that successful people make their own luck... and to a degree, I believe that it is true.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

I couldn't agree more with this post Michael.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I kind of got my job by luck... the company I work for now was interviewing a bunch of candidates a good 2 months before I got the interview... I totally got it by chance because my teacher directed me to this company and I literally got a call 1 day after I applied.

My school buddy and I were fighting for the same position!! needles to say I am glad I got the job because I've come a long way. Started out as a Desktop Support Tech and now a Network Administrator. Great times!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA