How to hide website hosted on a web server

Discussion in 'Networks' started by HTF, Dec 12, 2009.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

I found a website where I can check sites hosted on a web server by entering a domain or IP address http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/, how can I hide my websites so the wont be visible like also information about the server, like that is IIS, windows ect.?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Certifications: A+
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

A: you cannot... keeping them internal will reduce the risk of somebody obtaining that information

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

If you use apache, you can hide the version number in the headers and on server generated pages by putting

Code:
    ServerTokens Prod
    ServerSignature Off

Into one of the config files. You could probably hide it completely if you modified the source and compiled it.
    No idea about IIS though :P

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Is there any reason why this is a problem? Wasn't aware of this site up until now, but if you subscribe to the domain whois tools service, i believe they can tell you how many websites a person or company has registered (and more) so this information is readily available one way or the other.

Boyce

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Based on that link it’s just a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address of the URL. Therefore it looks to be impossible to “hide” the website.

Why would you want to anyway? Websites are meant to be browsed to....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs