How to get Lab experience with Microsoft Server 2012???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by bbugyi200, Nov 6, 2014.

1. bbugyi200

bbugyi200 New Member

Hello All,

I have just recently acquired my CCNA, and am thinking about going down the MCSA route now to broaden my knowledge a bit.

Based on good reviews, I am probably going to go with Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2".

How am I supposed to get hands-on lab experience though??? With my CCNA I spent about 1000$ on lab gear so I could have everything I needed to work on actual equipment in parallel with my CCNA studies. Is there a similar option for the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 exams?

Should I buy a copy of Windows Server 2012, or is there a cheaper way to get the same benefits? For the best learning environment, I need a hands-on experience. What are my options here?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! Its appreciated! :)

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well the easiest option would be to use a desktop based virtualisation product (VMware Workstation for Windows and Linux, VMware Fusion if you're on a Mac, OracleVM or the like). Ensure you have plenty of ram in the box (ideally 16Gb+) and then download Download Windows Server 2012 which is a 180 day Windows 2012 Trial.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    dmarsh likes this.
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If you have a spare HDD lying around or don't mind installing 2012 as the main OS on your PC, you would also be able to fiddle around with Hyper-V :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM