how to get into i.t security role?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by coolc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

i am interested in getting a security i.t role. I have i.t exp but all security roles ask for previous security experience which i dont have. I know getting certs will not improve my chances even though ill learn stuff, cause studying and doing it are two different things. Employers want someone who has being there and done that in security, any ideas?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One way is to either job shadow existing IT Security Pro's in your company or see if you can get a secondment to the IT Security department (this is providing that your organisation is big enough to have a separate department.

If your organsation isn't big enough to have one, you may find that your own department incorporates security. If that's the case then start asking to be involved in security related jobs/projects, eg: firewall install/maintenance, server hardening, roll out of encrytion software/encrypting PC's/laptops, SSO projects, auditing, deliverying of IT security awareness programmes, roll out of AV/anti-malware program, etc...

And build up experience from there.

Just don't expect to be pen testing the systems from the word go :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security