How to find Startup programs/locations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 8, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Before ever getting to know what the startup was, I had a lot of programs startup when first installing, it was only afterwards when I started having memory problems that I started disabling those which were not needed for daily use and so now I have many entries in there that I no longer use, so mainly to avoid "clutter' in the msconfig page, is the reason why I would prefer that the no longer needed or disabled items be removed from view, hope this explains it better.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This means that you are operating in a non-standard mode. The startup page in msconfig is only really to be used when troubleshooting, it shouldn't be left in that mode.

First put that page back to standard. Then go to the Startup folders and move the shortcuts to a folder named 'Nostart' or the like.

Now msconfig will be less cluttered, and the apps won't start on bootup/logon.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I only know it can be done in the registry, but knowing our Harry and his old book of tricks, he'll hopefully should tell us another way ...

4. Mr.Cheeks

Harry, what do you do when there are not listed in startup [start, programs, startup] but are listed in the startup tab in MSCONFIG. how would you remove the deselected ones or am i just lost?

5. hbroomhall

Depends on how they are described. My post was concerning those lines where the the 'Location' was given as 'Startup' or 'Common Startup'.

Don't forget that msconfig only shows a subset of processes started by the system.

Harry.

6. mikehende

OK Harry!! Moving items to and from a "Nostart" folder works BUT this is only for active items but thanks for that learning experience, now I need to get back to my question earlier, which was,

before ever getting to know what the startup was, I had a lot of programs startup when first installing, it was only afterwards when I started having memory problems that I started disabling those which were not needed for daily use and so now I have many entries in there that I no longer use, so mainly to avoid "clutter' in the msconfig page, is the reason why I would prefer that the no longer needed or disabled items be removed from view, so how do I remove those items? Please remember that the items in the view are not there in the startup folder which is also what's confusing me.

7. hbroomhall

Er - did you read what I posted before? You currently have 'Selective Startup' configured. I said to go back to normal, when the 'disabled' items would reappear in the startup folders.

If these items *aren't* in the startup folder where are they? (i.e. - what does it say under 'location')

Harry.

8. mikehende

Oh, sorry, got it now, works fine, thanks! Next question, if you all don't mind, what's the difference between "Common Startup" and "Startup"? Also, when I go to "Documents and Settings", I see 3 folders [All Users, Default User and another with my name on it], why do some items go into the All users and some into the one with my name, I mean, why don't they all go into just one of those folders?

9. hbroomhall

Again - I've been over this. "Common Startup" is the startup for 'All Users'. "Startup" is the startup for you.

Often when you install it will ask if the app is to be available to just you, or for everybody. If you reply 'everybody' then it goes in All Users. Other apps will default to going to one of those - depending on how it was writen.

When anybody logs in, the menu available is a merge of All users and the Username.

Default user is a template for creating a new user.

Harry.

10. mikehende

Finally got a great explanation on the net earlier, just like yours, thanks.

11. Mr.Cheeks

How else do you think Harry knows that answers?... :twisted: