How to find program icon?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 21, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Typo, but thanks for bringing it to my attention! Got to slow down man, it's nearing the end of the week, one more day for nature's best stress reliever, BEER!!

Yeah cheekmaster, I had looked at a couple of icon programs but I think they make it sound more difficult that it looks which is why I wanted to know how "you" create yours. I don't need a specific icon software, I wish to use my own images.

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I used Paintbrush, the zoom feature and a lot of trial and errors, the size of the file is tiny and pixel...what type of images are you going to use? clipart should be ok cuz there is not much image on there and you have no chance with photos and that, all you need to remember is; how much can i fit into that small space thats an icon and how good or decent would it look?

3. mikehende

I would like to use my own pics taken from a digicam, will this work?

4. Mr.Cheeks

prob 1 pic of 1 person, not no groupy...

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Firstly Mike, it is a *shortcut* that is only a link to an exe file not an icon :blink

I am just being pedantic as usual but I do think it is important to use the correct terminology. The amount of people that call wallpaper the screensaver is amazing :twisted:

Secondly, I don't know why people bother to change the default icons but they do. Sometimes it's a nightmare trying to find what program you're looking for.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. mikehende

ok Cheekmaster, got it.

Well, you brought up something else Blurinse, I always thought wallpaper and screensaver is the same thing, what's the difference?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wallpaper is the picture backdrop to your desktop and is there all the time, in XP by default it is the green pasture picture known as bliss.

A screensaver is a program that kicks in after a set period of time, say 10 minutes and displays whatever screensaver you have selected, in my case a nice Media Centre fish tank with fish swimming about.

Screensavers were original introduced to stop the burn in effect on CRT monitors, where a permanent image could be stained into the phosphor. With LCD monitors this is not an issue but I believe plasma screens can and do suffer from this.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Mr.Cheeks

aka Teletubby land :D

9. mikehende

cool, got it, thanks.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

And the fisher price taskbar :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009