How to find program icon?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 21, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

I had installed Drawplus4 a while back but now don't see the icon on my desktop anymore and also don't see it in start/All programs or in Add/remove programs, the application folder is there on my hard drive, what's the easiest thing to do here, search for the icon? If so, how? Or should I run the setup all over again?

2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

sounds as if the program has been uninstalled by yourself or else changed by your av /as if it was a little dodgy, i'd run the initial set-up again mate.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could try searching the programs folder that is still there on your hard disk for the .exe

But If it's not listed anywhere the I would suggest a reinstall.

4. mikehende

I reinstalled but would like to know [just for having the knowledge] how to locate a missing icon?

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

icons normally end with .ico which are also normally in the folder where the programs installs [c:\programfiles\drawingprog\mylittleicon.ico]

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Point to note though is that the icon will only be a picture, it will not be the link to the actual executable. 8)

7. mikehende

Strange, there isn't one in the base folder but wait a minute, when I installed the program, it showed in start/All programs but there wasn't an icon on the desktop so I guess that's why there isn't an icon in the folder as you've stated, thanks.

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you want an icon that is the same as the program that it uses then navigate to the application folder, right click on the .exe file (usually with it's own icon) and select send to and choose desktop (create shortcut).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. mikehende

Thanks, did that already upon reinstalling, was just looking for a way to "locate" missing icons.

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You didn't install it as another user did you?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. mikehende

no reason to.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Was the program time-limited in any way ? ie shareware ? My initial thought was that the Windows Desktop Cleanup pain-in-the@$$ thingy might have removed the icon, but that wouldn't account for it disappearing from the Start folder :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. mikehende

No, it is freeware, I may have deleted the icon by mistake as if I had uninstalled it, the base folder wouldn't have been there.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just to clarify what is being said here a tad because I think Mike is getting confused between an icon and a shortcut.

A shortcut is basically a clickable link to the actual executable file and can be placed in any folder but usually the desktop.

An icon is a small picture.

A shortcut can have any icon associated with it (right click and you can change the icon) but by default it is one that has been pre-designed to match the program that the shortcut will launch.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. mikehende

Just a note Bluerinse, I do understand that an icon is only a link to an exe file, don't know why you got the impression that I didn't? :biggrin , no worries.

I am curious about what you wrote above, "why" would you want to change an icon, please explain? Thanks.

16. Mr.Cheeks

Im jumping in when it has nothing to do with me, but the only time i have changed an ico, or should say created one is when, the icon for the programs does not resemble it e.g. having an aeroplane icon for a car racing game, where i use to work, they created a horrible looking icon for their bespoke program, i never liked it, so i created my own one, and happy i was... until when I.T. noticed the icon and made some sarcastic comment about it...

also, sometime there are more than one icon for a program and then it can be down to preference, which one do you like the most?

17. mikehende

Appreciate the explanation, never looked into it, hmnn, maybe I will, how do you create your icons?

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hint: Google it :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. Mr.Cheeks

icon files are basically a pic file, i.e. gif, jpeg, bmp, just create a small pic file and name the extension .ico and thats it, if you going to use like paintbrush, or what ever, its going to be trial and error with the size and looks, but there are some icon making programs out there..

20. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

You got the wrong end of the stick there mate. A shortcut is a link to an .exe (or any other file). An icon, as has been said, is basically a tiny little picture. You can change the icon of any file; shortcuts, exe's, jpeg's, whatever.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270