How to find employers directly

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Snowwhite, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

I am not discovering America, I know, but as I have noticed many people are completly disappointed with recruitment agencies. Here are some tips how to do it directly:

http://www.192.com/directory.cfm/BRIGHTON/COMPUTER - this is only example, but you have got local
    extensive information with companies websites
    so you can check if they are looking for
    someone at their job or vacancies site. It is
    much more convenient than yellow pages.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=7452494a-d0eb-49cb-8b53-dd84e37247d9

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

dont forget city or county council websites as they have IT jobs as well and almost all schools look for their ICT staff using these websites.

If you have any related ideas please continue . :D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused
  2. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I'm sort of doing the same thing myself, a word doc listing all the companies that advertise directly and/or are v. large or v. small companies in edinburgh. Reckon if they have to cut back of expenses, recruitment is probably one of the first places they'll start by advertising themselves.

not much of a list at the moment - about 30 so far but once it's a bit bigger happy to mail it to any of the scottish folk who want it.

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I've never been a big fan of agencies especially when starting out in IT as they had a tendancy of messing me around a lot and didn't want to know. As your experience grows it's a different story and they start to kiss your arse a lot more. I got my last 3 jobs through agencies so I would say grit your teeth if they mess you around as you may rely on agencies in the future and it's not agood idea to cheese them off.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Applying directly has a far greater chance of landing you employment, still considerably lower than a personal recommendation, but better none the less

That said, using random websites and search will ultimately lead to the general dissatisfaction you have with agency based recruitment

find a company you want to work for, in an industry you want to work in, doing a job you want to do, and go for it, trying to find a generic role in a generic company but just doing it by applying direct to the generic company doesn't make it any less generic if you ask me, just makes the process a little different :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0