How respected are the CompTIA certs?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ITMatt, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then the "lot that does not" aren't well informed regarding their field.

If those managers don't need it for their department to run successfully, then they don't employ entry-level techs. If they do employ entry-level techs, then it's irresponsible for them not to know what the A+ certification is.... regardless of whether their "department runs successfully" or not.

Fine... it didn't help YOU. But until you get in the position of having to wade through CVs to hire someone for a position, please allow someone who HAS done so to share their wisdom regarding this subject.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Sorry I forgot you are never wrong are you.

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are people out there who do not know what CompTIA A+ etc is but if they are an IT manager etc then THEY SHOULD KNOW.

I am of the opinion that whatever level you are in IT then you are working in an occupation that will always change so therefore it should always be studied and IT manager or not YOU SHOULD KNOW what certification programs are out there that can validate your experience and knowledge or a potential employees.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael

No, I have been wrong before; I've never said that I am never wrong... but this is an area in which I have a great deal of real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Michael, at the end of the day we are all saying that the A+ is a valuable cert however it has not got the recognition deserve amongs IT recruiters in the UK.

I don't quite agree that one should not work with an IT manager who doesn't know about the A+ especially when one is looking to land a job.

On the other hand a lot of the IT managers here in the UK that have not heard of the A+ are very good and exceptional in what they do.

To be honest some of them would not even look at the CV if the person has experience but not a degree. I am guessing this is not the case most of the time in the states?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. BosonMichael

Recruiters != IT Managers.

That said... an IT recruiter who doesn't know about the A+ certification is even MORE irresponsible regarding his/her career than an IT manager who doesn't! :blink

I never said they shouldn't... I'm saying that the chances you'll end up with a complete wonk for a manager are greatly increased if they don't know Jack Squat about IT and certifications. Until you've worked for one, you likely won't understand until you experience a truly bad situation with one.

You don't need a degree to be a tech. Thus, it doesn't make much logical sense to preclude those individuals from getting an IT job... regardless of whether they're in the US or UK.

Similarly, you don't need certifications to be a tech. But you *do* need experience to be a good tech... and companies (here, anyway) have figured that out. Degrees and certifications serve to merely set yourself ahead of the competition.

7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

We could discuss this all day but I think I will bow out now as I can not be bothered seeing another one of my messages broken down quote by quote as to why I am wrong.( I have a feeling this one will be as well).

Certifications: A few.
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

BM is correct in when he is saying the IT manager should be informed of the certs out there and what they mean. As I stated in my earlier post IT is something which continually changes it is a proffession that needs constantly studied for IT employees to get on with their jobs.

For example if BOB has studied for windows 95 certs then stopped working as a tech for 7 years and never read up on the new OSs out there would you give him a job? I wouldn't. But if he had learned the new OSs and got a cert or two in them then he would definetly get considered.

If an IT manager does not know a certain skillset can now be shown on a piece of paper that an employee or potential employee has those skills then that IT manager does not deserve to be one because it shows the IT manager is not as up to date with the field as he/she should be.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

I simply address the points that are made.

10. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Anyways, back to the original topic. I got 4 points for you:

1] A+ is an "entry-level" tech exam, thus an experienced techie would find it common sense. The *books* give you a brief history of how it all began from past to present day, so there'll be no gaps. But when you check CompTIA's objectives, you'll see that those ancient stuff aren't included. They're just in the books as "computer history".

2] CompTIA's exams are VENDOR NEUTRAL. Enough said there.
    3] Combinations of CompTIA's exams fulfills electives in some Microsoft exams. Example: A+ & Net+ for MCSA.
    4] MORE certs (and recognition) on your CV!!! :D When employers see that, they'll say to themselves, "This guys really knows his stuff! I'll take him!"

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  11. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

When i was trying to get a job without an A+ (although a vastly experienced technician) I scored about 40% applications versus gaining an interview. :(

After achieving the A+ certification this increased to around 80% which eventually lead me back to full time employment.:p

I had to complete a test questionaire at the interview for the job I now have, guess what?.....
    it was all based on questions similar to A+ questions. :eek:

All I can say about the A+ is it worked for me.8)

I found my N+ really useful after recently going on a 70-291 class room course as well.

For me CompTIA did exactly what it said on tin!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For entry level IT jobs it is a *big* help having the A+, Network+ and perhaps a MCP on your CV. You won’t believe the amount of CVs I have read with something like “built two PCs for my family” or something like that on it. Replace that with the A+ and Network+ and it reads much better! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

So very true! For entry-level exams, CompTIA sure gives you a very reasonable amount of knowledge as well as recognition. Besides, the higher courses from Microsoft & Cisco would all sound like chinese unless you had these entry-level certs to fill in the gaps. Thumbs up to CompTIA!!!:biggrin:thumbleft

14. TheCam

TheCam New Member

Usually I just read on this forum but I thought I would comment a little on this one. I am surprised to read that the CompTIA exams are not as well known in the UK. They have been around for years, 10+, I believe. And many of their conferences are held in europe. They are one of the more popular exams here in the US for getting started. Their exams were taking some beatings untill they released the new A+, we'll see how they fair with those. They are good entry level exams overall. Not for those with MCSE or other advanced certs.

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Until recently in the UK there was funded higher education, the result is that there were many, many graduates, including Computer Science, IT Management, Business Computing etc. Some of these people don't ace their courses.

The result is that many IT Managers or people in a position to recruit can indeed mandate diplomas or degrees if they like, to whittle down the candidates. Many adopt this approach over a cert based approach. A lot of the colleges push other vocational qualifications, BTEC, ECDL, CLAIT, ICT, OCR iPro, etc This is ontop of the more well known professional certs and the traditional qualifications.

I agree some IT managers my be lazy or ignorant, working for them may be hell also, but as has been pointed out, for some people it may be the best chance they get.

I have to agree that in general in the UK the Comptia certs are poorly regarded, abeit mostly because of ignorance.

16. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Not a bad pun there :p.

Anyways I have to agree that from what I've been reading here, that CompTIA certs aren't known (or regarded) much in the UK. I have to agree with dmarsh26 that the UK seems to prefer their college and university courses over the popular and well known entry level certs from CompTIA. This is a very innocent question, but I just want to ask out of curiosity no offense intended. But is it possible that CompTIA is not regarded much in Europe because its American? Maybe Europe is saying that their college and university courses are enough to furnish them with the required knowledge needed for the "entry-level" IT field, rather than an American company who deals with vendor neutral certs. How else would big IT managers be ignorant of CompTIA certs unless CompTIA was blocked out and the college/university courses pushed infront? I mean, I live in South America and everyone here knows, respects and acknowledges CompTIA! Maybe they're just trying to encourage people to use their local college/university education system for the foundation courses and the foreign system for the advanced courses. Just my 2 cents here.