How old where you when you got into IT and what was it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

22 - IT Assistant.

Basically 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support with some development work, graphic design mucking around and anything else they ask me to do (within reason).

In need of something new after 3 years though, not exactly many promotion prospects in a 3 person team.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. tony.platts

tony.platts Bit Poster

From turning 20 I was always the "go to guy" ( as someone said earlier ) at the IFA I was working for. At the age of 30 I'd had enough and changed careers.

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

16 - As a Trainee Systems Engineer for a HP/Compaq reseller.

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

By 21 I was a BT greenshirt not sure if that is classed as IT, most calls went like.

Q:"I got a problem with my PC"
    A:"move to the pc next to you"

Log and escalate , job done!.

@25 I got a full time job at my current employer after doing the MCDST.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

31 started in IT in 1st Line Support after a very successful career in the Financial Industry. Year down the line, I'm in 3rd Line support.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What attracted you to leave a career in Finance and go into IT mate? (Sorry if thats nosey, don't answer if it is, don't mean it to be)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Was always into computers as a kid.

Got a job in finance at 18, and was forever fixing people's computers. Asked the IT manager for a job and got accepted on first line within a month.

Did a HND whilst working part-time, CCNA and a handful of MS certs combined with three years hard work and now I'm a Systems Administrator at a different company.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

19th Birthday I got into IT, quit my IT course at college, got my 2nd IT job on my 20th Birthday. Got an interview for a 3rd in leeds at 11am today.

Was a 1st line role at a small software house.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and still into computers as a kid! :twisted:

heeheehee :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I started in a Call Center at 22.
    Calls were ridiculous...

I got my break at 23 in a helpdesk / Junior Systems Admin role. Dealing with things like building systems to maintaining Sendmail, and Unix servers. Fun learning...

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Started in IT service desk when I was 32 yrs old and after four years now in 2nd line desktop and server support. I think persistence and hard work coupled with determination is the key and not the age:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

I was 24 after completing my CCNA and I found a job as a IT technician (1st line) which in Brasil we would call it a "Byte Scruber" :) since then the company I worked for was bought up by an american company and I moved up to be a Support Engineer (2nd level) which is where I am at the moment.

I am looking to move to a differnet job, as oportunities at this one have dried up and I want to learn linux and unix systems. Right now we only use everything microsoft with a license.

cheers

VHB

Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  13. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

I was 17 and started off working in IT support for a large European company, which started off quite basic and ended up doing some fairly complex work in 2nd/3rd line. I am now 23 and work for another company where I am the IT Manager.

Certifications: Many.
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL