How many PCs should I get ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Timewyrm, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

no. a kvm switch is a device that allows you to hook multiple pcs through a single keyboard/Video (monitor)/Mouse (Hence KVM). These devices have ports which plug into the respective ports on each of the machines to be connected to the kvm.

a router generally includes switching technology within it, as i understand it. the netgear in particular actually combines various technologies into a single box: dns/dhcp/firewall/switch/adsl modem. Most routers tend (as i understand it anyway) to provide dns/dhcp/switch capabilities, whereas a switch only provides the switching technology (the ability to send communications to other machines on the network, not the ability to give those machines an IP address).

Im sure, however, that someone will be along to give a more details explanation of switches vs routers than my bodged attempt. theres a thread where i asked this same thing from quite a while ago, ill see if i can dig it up.

If you are getting the dg, then you can indeed hook each of your machines into the available ports on the back (indeed, thats exactly how my own setup is).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Original Post

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How about this?

What is a Switch?

What is a Router?

For home use, if you are using a DSL or cable modem, it performs both routing and switching but limited to a small number of computers. The average broadband device might have a few LAN ports that will let you plug a couple of PCs into it. The one I have also has wireless so it's a router/switch/access point. It's also a cheap bugger and goes offline every so many days, probably because a random port scan has knocked it for a loop.

It would be rare in a production environment to have a single device doing routing and switching (don't get me started on Layer 3 switches) and I think our (or at least my) attempt here is to get you used to "classic networking" rather than merely "home networking.

Actually, the only thing I use my DSL device for is the Internet connection. I've got a multi-purpose server and networking appliance that sits between the DSL device and my switch (24 port...a "perk" from a writing job I did several years ago) and the server device acts as my firewall, DNS, DHCP and wireless device all rolled into one. The company that made it went out of business but the thing works great. It was also fun putting together my wee SOHO LAN.

Anyway, yes you can plug your PCs directly into the router and it will work. But outside of a home setting, that's not how networks work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

Ah, I get it now. In that case, buying a switch does makes sense. Once again, thanks guys :cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Erm, usually the 'routers' provided free by broadband providers 'are' switches, but with a DSL link to the internet. To do this the 'router' has to perform routing functions, but these devices incorporate most commonly a four-port ethernet switch to allow +1 computer to share access.

You can use this switch to create a home LAN, and can do anything with this you might need for A+ or N+ study. At this level, it is more about understanding setting up the network on each PC (or Mac or whatever), and the software interactions between them to get the network working.

Buying another switch would be, IMHO, a real waste of dosh. Networking 2 home computers would be enough for CompTIA; 4 is a bonus; more is just showing off ..... :dry

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how many PCs should you get 12.6 :D only kidding.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

that should help you out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Um...didn't I say that above?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster