How many of you is PC gamer or not?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by kobem, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I play games now and then. Command and Conquer series and Halo are my fav games, and I would say all games in those categories i.e RTS and military sci fi and my favourite types of games.

At the mo playing CnC 3 Kanes Wrath.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Same here play every now and then, but Command & Conquer been playing that for the last 8 years or so. Just cannot get enough of it. Battling on-line for hours with other people, building that base & army gives you get satisfaction then going into battle.

Other games play when in the mood for it:-

• Championship Manager
    • Age of Empires
    • COD Black Ops
    • Mario Kart

Also like getting the old Amiga 500 out playing:-

• Lemmings
    • Sensible Soccer
    • Kick-Off
    • Speed Ball

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. rayox

rayox Bit Poster

I've been playing pc for about two and half years now, ever since my friend showed me cod2 on the pc now all I do is play cod4 :) he got me addicted.

Certifications: none
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

The new command and conquer is very good, but only the gameplay. EA have screwed the universe over IMO.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  5. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

I played that a lot as well, shame is all pc games are now ports of console games

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcpd
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i would suggest Witcher at first place then maybe Dragon Age 2 to play on PC. I can not say anything related to
    ***** 2 thats why i only had opportunity to try it in gaming cafe.

Certifications: CCNA
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am an avid pc gamer, in the process of building up my latest rig (waiting on the last of the watercooling components).

I also own a Nintendo Wii and Sony PS3 which I don't use\play although my son (who turns 4 over the Easter holidays) plays on the Wii and we use the PS3 as a media center streaming content from my NAS boxes.

I really play a mix of games, currently playing:-

Battlefield Bad Company 2
    World of Warcraft
    StarCraft 2

I also own but don't have installed atm.

BlackOps
    MOH
    UT3
    NFS
    Deadspace 1&2
    Arma 2
    Dragon Rising

and a host of other games I have forgotten about.

I have stumped up over 1000 hours played in WoW, just done 5 days in BFBC2 and countless hours on a whole host of other games.

Current gaming rig is a watercooled

Intel 2600K
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme (B3)
    16GB Ram
    3GB Palit GTX 580
    OCZ 120gb Vertex

Should see me through the rest of the year :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Christ on a bike.

I remember when playing counter-strike - when the maps would load on the conosle screen, you could always tell the ones who had fast machines, as they'd be waiting at your spawn point for you to appear and shoot you in the face before you could even get your gun loaded.

damn my 256mb pc133

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That looks similar to the one I'm thinking about putting together right now.

Intel Core i7 2600 BOX
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe (B3)
    Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 2x4GB, DDR3-1866
    Asus GTX-460 TOP DirectCU 1GB DDR5, PCI-E 2.0 x16

What RAM did you use?
    How loud is your system?

I also want to fit in 32GB of RAM but finding it is a bit of a problem.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I went for the G-Skill Reds. I don't think Sandy Bridge takes more than 16gb of ram, if you want greater then that you need to go down the Xeon route using ECC ram.

As far as noise is concerned, I am just waiting on the gpu waterblock before I power it up, the but I don't think it's going to be loud, my fans are 25 - 30db max.
    Also it's sitting in a nice Corsair 800D case so air flow isn't too bad either.

I should have everything running over the weekend (assuming I get by wb tomorrow), failing that next week. I will be running the cpu at 4ghz 24\7

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Spidey76

Spidey76 Bit Poster

I mostly play on the Xbox 360 but also have a gaming PC. Most of my play time is on the xbox 360 though although I've got some games to play on the PC.

12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I own a Packard bell dot vr46 netbook, you know Valentino Rossi tagged one. Even though it has not got much power, it allows me
    to play certain cool games at fair frame rates such as Dragon Age 2, Borderlands , Wanted : Weapons of Fate.

Specs :
    4 gigabytes DDR3 RAM
    Intel graphics media accelerator (GMA45 HD)
    Intel celeron dual-core 1.2 GHz

Certifications: CCNA
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just a quick update, box is all built and running now. Noise is pretty non-existent as the only sound coming from it are 3 Fractal Design case fans pulling air through the rads and a couple of 140mm fans pulling air inside the case.

Temps are great, running Intel Burn Test at full whack my temps on the cpu didn't go over 57c whilst the 580gtx hasn't gone above 50c under load (Battlefield Bad Company 2), currently sitting here with temps of 30c for the CPU and 26 for the gpu :D

Everything worked out of the box, ram\cpu etc all just powered up and worked, heavily benched to the point that I am confident that the machine is stable at 3.8ghz so I will be ramping it up to 4.6ghz over the next couple of days.

Benched using IBT for an hour (it can tell you whether you have a stable system very quickly) as well as Folding for a few hours with the GPU and CPU.

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Cool! I've got an outdated system myself which I have to update... right now it does the trick but Simon, you've got me thinking!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not a particularly clear picture but my new gaming rig :) [​IMG].
    This is what I now game on :)

16. sobermonkey

sobermonkey New Member

Well I'm pretty much a PC gamer. But the problem is I don't have time for games at all now. Kids, work, family too much time consuming. If I ever get the chance of playing I play some Football Manager or Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (brilliant game btw).
    Just bought my son a XBox 360 and if I have the time I kick some asses on Street Fighter 4.

Miles

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  17. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

Im a keen pc gamer, been playing for years and do not want to stop any time soon, consoles are just not my thing really, although i do need an upgrade on my pc.

still play a range of games which are fun and awesome.

Counterstrike:source
    Call of duty 4 (still very big on pc)
    bad company 2
    Magicka (amazing game)
    F1 2010

and then got laods mroe games on my steam account but not installed.

if anyone is on steam give me a add Steam Community :: ID :: Sidimmu

18. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I'll occasionally play Call of Duty 4, Fifa 2011, or one of a couple other games on my PC or some game on a console at a friends but not very often - it's just not at the top of my list of things to do when I have free time.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Didn't see you post this...

I am actually putting together a spec list of the next system I am going to build and will try the water cooling system for the first time!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. chrisblack

chrisblack New Member

I'm a massive fan of PC gaming :D Especially browser games and browser based games - they're mostly free so it's perfect for a broke student like me muhaha I play a range of games - shooters, RPGs, and strategys but my favourites would definitely have to be Castle Empire, Battlestar Galactica Online and Fallen Earth!