How long to study 70-270?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by oztrailrider, Aug 22, 2007.

1. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I am currently in the process of reading through the microsoft press book and answering all the revision questions for each lesson, so far it has taken me 10 days to get through 6 chapters, although I am only getting a couple of hours study per night in. So I am curious to know how long it has taken you to study before being ready for the exam?, How many hours/day study did it take?.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just getting through the book is the first part of studying. I hope you are working through the labs using a real WinXP box and not just reading about it.

How long does it take to study? As long as it takes... seriously. I study until I completely understand the concepts.

Besides, I would be doing you a disservice if I told you how long it should take you to stufy for an exam. For instance, it would take me less time to study for 70-270 than it would take for someone with no real-world IT experience because I've been in IT for many years. On the other hand, it would take me a lot longer to study for an Oracle exam than it would someone who works with Oracle on a daily basis due to my lack of exposure to production Oracle databases.

In addition to your experience level, there are many other factors that will affect how long it takes you to study:
    - other important responsibilities (job, spouse, kids, religion)
    - availability of hardware and software
    - availability of study materials
    - ability to learn new things and retain information

So don't stress so much about how long it takes. Take as long as you need so that you fully understand the concepts. After all, you're not just trying to pass an exam... you're studying so that you can be a better tech in the "real world".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Yes I am certainly studying in front an XP box. I actually put one together with some budget parts specifically for studying/testing with. I have other PCs that form a lab of sorts with various OS's including Vista, XP and 2k Professional.

I realise that I have probably just been getting impatient since I set a fairly ambitious deadline for achieving my certification and with only managing a couple of hours study per day during the week it is proving to be a bit over ambitious, so I am adjusting my goal accordingly. I am making sure to understand the concepts completely as this is the important part as you say. I know that I learn best with hands on experience so I am making sure to try all the material out in the book on the machine, unless it is stuff that I already understand. There is always something new to learn though. 8)

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like you are on the right track to me, keep doing what you are doing. :) GL with the further studies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hey

i passed the 270 follwing the same process as you are, pysically doing it is by far the best way to learn, i think i had questions in my exam that i only remembered because i actually did the process.

good luck with it and if you need any help just post.

Martyn :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE