How long to complete an MCSE ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Mar 17, 2009.

?

How long to complete an MCSE ?

1. Six months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. One year

31.3%
  3. One and half years

18.8%
  4. Two years

43.8%
  5. I given up

6.3%
  1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

So then I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm now on the 70-291.
    I have completed three MCPs 2000 Serv2000 Serv2003.
    On a time scale I did think I crack this out in a year & half but not!

So what your time scale you finished MCSE in or planning to complete in ?

Poll to follow

missed off poll - I finished when I finished

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

How long did you say that piece of string was?

Seriously though, you can't second guess it like this.

• You may find certain mandatory modules very difficult meaning you spend more time on it.
    • You may be limited to study time in the future due to unforeseen circumstances (or foreseen ones! work, family etc)

The best advice I can give is just to sit down and crack on with it exam by exam. Once it's done, that's when you can look back and be proud of what you've achieved.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I haave budgeted roughly 2 - 2.5 years but like easter it is a moveable feast.
    it will finish when it finishes

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Two years as the longest time to complete the MCSE isn't exactly that realistic. Alot of people take longer, so some additions to the poll might be an idea.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

By the time I finish, it will be around a year since I first started.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Qs

But we're estimating completion times for humans, craigie! In the worlds of Mr. T - You're just a crazy cert-taking motherf**ker. :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hehe, I must say though, I'm not as enthusiastic as I was at the start, but only two more left and then I get a cert which has been devalued by dumpers!

Whoop Whoop :)

PS Apologies for the negativity, it has already been a long day.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Qs

I know how you feel mate. When you're done with the MCSE grab the CCNA, then you can have two commonly braindumped certs.

...right, where's the nearest roof :p

Qs

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Exactly, I have been set the goal of obtaining the MCSE to earn some more money. Which of course I'm doing!

I do use some of the skills required on a day to day basis but not all, as I have 2nd Line not 3rd Line access. But the skills learnt do come in handy when having to explain your decisions to 3rd Line.

On a different note the MCSE, appears to be referenced more and more in jobs adverts as a pre-requisite.

I'm looking forward to when I have mine, to see if it makes a big difference or not in job responses.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I took a year and a half, perhaps a little longer... with a BIG break (one year) between Networking Essentials and Windows NT Server 4.0 as I built experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. mmmlordy

mmmlordy New Member

I started last April, Just finished my 70-291 for MCSA (bit later than planned), Going to try and finish my MCSE by the end of this year (70-293,294 and 297 left to do).

Certifications: MCSA, Bsc Computer Network Management
    WIP: MCSE