How long does Windows take to boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 8, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Don't mind him, he's just a little jealous.:twisted:

Mine takes
    29 seconds to get to the starting xp screen
    49 seconds to get to the logon screen
    65 seconds to start using

Mr. C, eat your heart out.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yup ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

We are aware of it - doesnt mean we can't enjoy it though...:biggrin

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've drastically cut down on the time wasted by Windows booting up...

...I simply don't reboot. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

We all know this thread is a little sad :D
    But being techies, we just couldnt resist replying :D

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was just interested in peoples boot up times. I don't think it makes it sad or me.

I was also inetersted to see how many people keep their PCs on too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Fair enough... My apologises...

...... Flippin sado's
    :twisted:

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no probs :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I would say mine takes about a minute to get into windows roughly.:) but that usually includes mistyping my password:p

But I can say, that I know of a user at work, whre it hs been taking them an hour.........to boot into their windows profile on the network:blink think id kill myself by then...............

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  10. Mr.Cheeks

is that due to a slow network connection or an silly silly large profile

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is their profile in another country or something like that? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Maybe they forgot there password a few times...

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  13. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Both really, the site the user is based at has ridiculous connection of 2mb, and 20 other users log onto the same network at this one site. Combined with numerous shared network drives (which they dont use half of them) and profiles of 68mb up 1 gig..................causes havoc for everyone::blink

14. Sparky

2MB? Surely the connection is at least 100MB on the LAN and the profiles are located at the site that the users are physically located?

Also some of the tools in R2 can control what files are in the profile. For example no massive .pst files.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Yep Apparently the connection to that particular site is only 2mb. I dont know the full ins and outs of the network to this site,( not been on this particular desk long) but having passed the call over to the next line of support, the answer was pretty much..............its a crap connection, we dont provide the actual line, so its tough................Great response

I believe the profiles are retrieved from the servers which are based elsewhere, and whilst the mailbox profiles are limited, ive seen users with general profiles going over 1.24 gig.:eek: With crap they have deemed important from over 2 years ago saved on their profile desktops.

Im not clued up too much on windows profiles and how the they interact with the server to be honest, but im guessing having a profile of 1.24 gig, which is being pulled from a server based outside the site, probably isnt great.. As I said im just getting to grips with the this new desk role, .......but some things do seem odd at times..............:blink

16. Sparky

Yup, you are right. Pulling a profile from a different location isnt ideal. I would imagine that the infrastucture guys dont want any data stored at the remote site so perhaps there isnt a server to put the profiles onto. Kinda defeats the purpose as its most likely the profiles are cached on the PCs unless there is a GPO in place to remove them after the user logs off.

17. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thats a point sparky, Im assuming they are cached to machines, as if the users dont connect through our encryption service, it only allows access to their local profile, and then they phone us complaining they have lost their shared drives and the world is going to end etc etc.........:P

I think one of the issues is as well, is that ive seen a few agents on the desk map entire shared drives, when the user only needs access to a particular folder? Again as I said earlier im not clued up with the networks interactiing with shared drives thing (saving that for after the a+ exam), but am I right in thinking that a user can be mapped to a folder on the shared drive and not actually need access to the entire drive?

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I usually leave mine on 24/7 but I rebooted just so I put it up Mr. C:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. Mr.Cheeks

Don't get me angry!

[​IMG]