How long does it take?

Discussion in 'A+' started by andrew12, May 9, 2007.

1. andrew12

andrew12 New Member

I know it probably varies for each person but on average how long does it take to complete the A+ certification if taken with a company like Computeach?

The reason I am asking is because I go to university in October and so I would have just over 4 months to do it. I am generally good with computers but I don't have any experience in building or repairing computers which I want to learn more about.

Is just over 4 months enough or am I being unrealistic. I don't work at the moment and I'm not at school so I would have time to focus on it.

Thanks,

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How long is a piece of string?

The time will vary depending on numerous factors, i.e. how well you pick up the material, how much time you dedicate to it, etc.

If you can dedicate yourself between now and starting Uni then I think that 4 months should be more than enough.

8)

3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Twice as long as it is from the center of the string to one end

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Although Simon is right about the " How long is a piece of string"

The question that comes to my mind is why go with Computeach when you can buy the books from Amazon and do self study.

If your strict with yourself and design a study time table you can do it in 4 months.

Some of the members here have done both exams of A+ in two months, others have taken 24 months. All depends on time management and life commitments.

Personally if you need A+ for your University course entry. I would go the self study route, use the CD-Rom's that come with the books like Mike meyers and Learnkey interactive video training cds. If you still find your struggling post a question here or book yourself on a five day course at your local college.

Within the Mike Meyers Series for A+ there are also Lab books which give you the practical side of A+ as well as the theory.

It all comes down to one thing:-

CF can point you in the right direction, but you have to make the first step and what you put into life is what you get out of it.
    If you believe in yourself not only will you change who you are but where your going!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I've thought about this and this still doesn't tell you the length of a piece of string - it provides a formula for determining the length of a piece of string. Here is an example:

I present to you two pieces of string, one can be longer than the other or both the same length. I ask if they are the same length and if not which is longer, so I ask for their respective lengths to determine which answer is correct. You answer: "Well the length of string A is twice the distance from the center to either end as is string B!"

Get my drift?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would put them next to each other and point at the longest and say "that one" :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

For Books and resources on CF:- Click Here

To but the latest version of Mike Meyes A+ :- Click Here

For the Exam objectives on A+ :- Click Here

Mike Meyers' A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs: Lab Manual :- Click Here

Video Training - Learn Key

Good Luck:biggrin

8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

haha good point, but, the question didnt specify a unit of measurment, it simply asked how long it is, and it is twice as long from the center to one end.

9. andrew12

andrew12 New Member

I have thought about self study instead and it probably would save me money. What do Computeach actually do for what you pay them, do they provide materials, or any in-class tuition? I have never taken any courses with them or other companies so I don't really know what to expect.

Also is it essential to have Windows XP professional for studying A+ as the upgrade is about £160.

Thanks,

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It takes as long as it takes. Learn new skill sets so you know them well. This isn't a race for speed, it's an investment in the future.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Mathematix

D'oh! :blink

12. Mathematix

So how's that different from saying "the distance from one end to the other"? The question asks "what is the length of a piece of string?" which cannot be answered unless you have a specific piece of string of finite length.

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Erm...Guy's...I think we may have gone slightly Off Topic on this one! :blink

14. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

i guess its not different, my way just sounds better:biggrin

15. Mathematix

Yep. Sorry mate. :oops:

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:deal CT salesman will offer the earth to you but what you really need to do is read the contract before signing and parting with any money.

Click here to read Trip's suggestions on Learning providers

If you want feed back on CT then use the search option on this forum. There are plenty of threads/posts on CT. If you want to know a bit about the courses and how they work. I would suggest look at their website and order a introduction book.

Alternative you could go for Advent course or Skillstrain.

Here's a some threads from CF archive, feedback on A+ for Skillstrain
    Also Skillstrain

Feedback on Advent

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

18. andrew12

andrew12 New Member

I have decide to take your advice and go for the self-study route.

I plan to buy:

A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide
    Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport
    PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

The Learnkey software looks really good but is quite expensive.

What about Transcender software, I read something about that on another post. Is that just practice tests? What would be more useful Learnkey or Transcender?

Thanks,

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well done for choosing self study:thumbleft :clap

as for study aids, learnkey is video training, while transcender is an exam prep test simulator design to ask questions. when the questions are answered the software works out your weak spots.

Learnkey are doing a special offer at the moment:-

Free video training aids - Click here