How long did you stay in 1st line support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kraven, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I wasn't thrown into FreeBSD on my first job, but I was completely ignorant and thrown into the deep end. My very first job, which I sometimes even discount as my first job as it was so long ago, and for such a disreputable company, put me working with the production database, writing SQL queries for reports for the people in marketing, analyzing firewall and IIS logs, maintaining the OS's for the database and web server machines, doing database backups, creating views, updating data in the database, and a job no one should ever have, manually removing duplicate data from their database. That should tell anyone who has ever worked with a database how poorly designed their database was. They used no triggers, foreign keys, primary keys, etc... in the database. They relied on pure dumb luck for atomicity in the database, and the ACID model was either completely ignored, or unknown to the database "designer". They'd just send me in to to manually delete and change records as needed when things would get all screwed up.

The only computer experience I had when I started was reinstalling Windows 98 a couple of times. I'd only been using a computer for a year and half or so, so I was about as green as you could get.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Most Network support jobs I could find asked for about 3 years experience, but here I am now with less than one years experience working as a junior network engineer. I have 7 months experience on 1st line and didn't touch a router or server once. I would say you need general IT experience it really doesn't have to be network related.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA