How long did you stay in 1st line support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kraven, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I had hands-on skills working on OS's from Win 95 to XP. I had hardware experience, and have been building my own PCs since I was 14. I'd also been setting up the LANs for when we had gaming parties at my ex's - nothing too fancy. Just enough to run Champo or Command and Conquer between seven people :)

I still don't have one of those still, but I'm working on saving for one, given my foray into the CCNA. I'm looking at a decent machine with VMWare for several OS's, and a couple of Cisco Routers and Switches. So far, I have a rack :)

Explained above...

I haven't moved beyond it yet.

I have worked in helpdesk 1st line since January of this year, and it's my first IT role. I have to say, I quite love it, but I'm not in an 'aggressive' helpdesk environment - my line manager, for example, thinks SLAs are abhorrent, and will never introduce them. God, I hope she never leaves!!

My personal attitude (including self certification) and my customer-orientated service ethic got me my job. My boss thinks it's a plus that I'm going for higher Certs, but has categorically said that they will neither guarantee me higher wages nor second line work; I have to earn that in the workplace.

First Line work can often be seen as an environment where someone can stagnate. I guess that depends on the industry, the manager, and the person involved.

I am happy with my own situation, as I was made First Line Supervisor after my six month review at work. I have told my line manager I will want Second Line work, but to be honest, I do a lot around the First Line role. I'm not sure if that's because of the Sup thing, but after my three month review, I was given the domain admin password. I do AD work, hardware setups for new staff, hardware fixes, email traps, patching, purchasing, invoicing and asset maintenance... the variety of the work is going to keep me in for some time, I think.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I was to a large extent very fortunate as I started straight away into a technical 1st/2nd line support role.

My duties on a day to day basis involved carrying out task some days on the phone and other days visiting site resolving hardware, software and network issues. I was exposed to Oracle just the front end but got to appreciate the importance of ODBC and MDAC etc. This was a very much jack of all trade type of role but I learnt a lot and glad I did.

I must say though there were days were I felt God give me more patience and temperament when on the helpdesk:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

In answer to your questions - I had hands-on skills before I started. Built and repaired/troubleshooted over 50 computers for friends, families and a couple of charity organisations. Broke more versions of windows than I care to remember, set up LANs for either gaming parties, or for housemates networks - unfortunately I didn't come across the likes of VMWare until this forum actually :D

Whilst on the 1st line role, it was noticed by my manager and others, but as I was only a temp worker, I didn't get the automatic opportunity to advance - but I was told on several occasions that if I was I would have been promoted/offered a job in 2nd line after about 4 months - and that was from ambition, determination, willingness to do more work than I had to, attempting to study (as we were busy sometimes :) ), and just general positive attitude. My reference onto the job I'm in now was glowing (same company different area).

If I move up to the headoffice I think I'll have the same opportunity again with the above qualities - the reason why I don't now, is that we are on a clients site and as a team are left alone to our own devices. As long as the work is done, and the customer is happy, no-one from HQ know we even exist - probably a move will be the best thing for me.

Why do you ask Freddy??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I had messed with computers for 18 years and was the go-to computer guy at my job for 6 years before getting my first "real" IT job. That's probably why I didn't stay on the front lines long.

The knowledge you gain by working with computers, even in a home environment, may not translate to real-world business IT experience... but it CAN help you to advance quicker. If you're good at what you do, good employers will see your aptitude as you build your IT career, and they'll give you opportunities to advance.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael

So I've heard! :twisted:

Sorry... couldn't resist. :p

If you've been given the domain admin password, you're starting to venture into the land of Second Line Tech. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I thought it would be pretty interesting to see how certification vs. real world skills play out in advancement in the corporate world.

I was also interested in seeing how much employers really look at a low level employee's drive and ambition that's exhibited in that person training themselves when advancement is considered out in the real world, and if real world skills are playing a bigger role than certifications.

I have my suspicions how this will play out, but just would like to see if real world experiences mirror, or don't mirror, what I think when applied across a wide variety of people and situations.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. ffreeloader

Looks to me you are moving right along even though you are "technically" staying at one level. Sometimes though that's just a way for an employer to get more work out of someone while keeping them at the same pay grade. Have your wages gone up as you've been given more responsibility?

Hopefully you are working for a decent employer they are rewarding you for what you are doing, not paying you according to your "official" title.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Usual kinda thing, I had built PCs etc and had just graduated from uni with a MSc

I had written some EPOS software when I was at uni and sold it to a shop and ended up installing a small network as well. Nothing too advanced, 3 PCs and one acted as a server to run the back office software. I ended up doing some web design and some other shop owners were interested in the software. I didn’t have a clue how to run a business so I was still looking for a full time IT job.

I hadn’t studied for any certs when I moved off the corporate helpdesk . I got a random phone call from a company that downloaded my CV off a website. They wanted an in-house network support guy and also someone who could write patches for their software after it was released.

Now I am currently working as a network engineer and doing consultancy for small businesses. I’m starting to work on bigger projects now (multi –site installs and web hosting) but I still have loads to learn. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Arroryn

My employer is exemplary, despite still being in the 'medium' sized business category (circa 500 employees).

I have had a rise since my 'promotion', and a review in a couple of months. As far as the UK 'average' outside of London for First Line... put it this way. I got offered a Second Line role with a bank in London, and the pay offer was less. So, all in all, a bucket load of experience, and not a bad gig as far as pay is concerned :p

10. Arroryn

Should I tell your wife, or shall I just fly over to Nashville and kick your ass? :tongue

11. ffreeloader

Interesting. You got started in about the same way I've gotten started in both my careers. Trained for one thing, fell into something related, and made it work.

What I think is interesting so far is that out of three respondents all three have advanced through displaying real world skills--which mirrors my own experience. So far nobody has said, Oh, I got my blah, blah, blah cert and I moved up because of it.

12. ffreeloader

Glad to hear you're working for a an employer who treats their people right.

13. BosonMichael

My backside awaits yer dainty foot, should you make it across the waters. 8)

Come and get me, ya hippie! :p

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, it all goes back to ‘commercial experience’ doesn’t it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been fortunate enough to get a job straight out of school. What I did was an intensive 16 month course called Computing support. Basically it teaches you everything from A+, N+, MCSA, and CCENT or back then it was the first 2 semester of CCNA (I don't know if thats an equivalent).

After finishing school I got a job right away as a Desktop Support. Basically it's maintaining the in house computer systems, printers, faxes, photocopiers, etc. I don't really specialize in printers/faxes/photocopiers, I basically do my best to troubleshoot the problem like paper jams, drum/fuser replacements and if it is more serious I call the specialized techs that deal with printers and faxes.

Also I try my best at maintaining computer desktop systems. My work involves me troubleshooting, repairing, replacing, ghosting, installing of the OS, applications, etc.

I do very minimal server tasks such as release blocked emails, unlock user accounts, install printers on the print server. Sometimes I am asked to prepare servers for future projects, etc.

I've been recently given a new responsibility in administering an Anti-virus server, which I've got to say is not easy. There are so many things to learn. Right now I am in the process going over the documentation to perform a software upgrade on the server. Not an easy task when you have so many servers/workstations to deal with.

In all I've been in IT a little over a year and I am also 20.... well soon to be 21. So I don't really think that age really has that much to say as to what you can and cannot do. I find that your job task are more dependent upon your skill, experience, attitude, etc. Of course you are not going to start as a network admin, but you can start higher then 1st line support and if not who cares, you are getting a valuable experience that a lot of entry level techs would wish to have.

I also think that you don't have to be at the same type job for many years, you can be there for 6-12 months and move up. Just as long as you show that you have interest and are willing to learn new things and put in the effort.

To answer ffreddy's question. Before I starting working or even going to school I was already very interested in IT. I remember building my first system exactly 6 months before I started going to school. That little experience sure helped me a lot at school after, especially with the A+

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never worked support, first job was coding an Imaging/OCR archival system for a large insurance company, you should see their archives they look like the bit at the end of Indiana Jones ! Then a brief stint (2 years) making a 'flow computer' an embedded project for fiscal metering of oil and gas.

Then various other programming gigs... didn't bother with certs, concentrated on core skills for 6+ years, recently (last 5 years) been doing certs, has helped my career progression because it makes me more marketable, but certs for me are not really to do with skills or experience.

17. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

I spent a year in 1st line, but this was no ordinary 1st line job.
    It was in an ISP, supporting shared hosting customers, on freebsd servers. Basically i was pushed into the deep end. I knew nothing much about unix but quickly had to learn if i wanted to keep the job :cry:
    I was given root access (crazy) along with 4 other support colleagues.

Certifications: JNCIA-FWV, LPIC 2, SCSA, CMA, 70-271
    WIP: 70-272
  18. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i had been working on my on computers and small networks for years, something like 12 to 14 years now, not to mention always being the computer guy to setup our networks when i was managing transmission repair shops. so plenty of hands on experience prior to school, which i didn't learn anything in anyhow. :biggrin

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  19. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey Guys,

I was offered a job today at Computerland (Dunno if any of you have heard of the company), It was for a 1st line role. I did mention that I wanted a 2nd line or a network support role, but the guy said I would need to have 1 year+ working with servers/routers to even think about a network support role.

So how would I get experience working within a server enviroment without getting a job working in a network enviroment? I know I have personal experience with my servers at home and what not, but this doesnt really class as real world experience.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm current working for argos answering customer's emails, some of the questions they ask about our products or why they cannot do certain things make we want to

[​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009