How long did it take you to pass you A+??

Discussion in 'A+' started by Jada, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

Out of curiosity how long did it take for you to pass A+ certification?

Jada

WIP: A+, N+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't studied for the A+ but I would say that the study time necessary before you felt ready to sit any exam would depend on your current knowledge and ability to learn.

Because of my 30 years of experience and qualifications in electronics it would be easy for me to read and absorb books or articles regarding CPUs, buses, RAM, I/O devices because I have worked with these things in a different environment. If you are starting from scratch, well there is quite a steep learning curve ahead, which means it will take longer.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with bluerinse 100%. It took me 2 months to get my A+. Quick because I've been doing this sort of thing for years. Slow because it was the first cert I took when deciding to aquire certs after a 25 year gap!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, everyone will have their own way of learning the A+ material which could take weeks or months depending on the individual.

It took me 3 months to pass the A+ exam, that’s with moving house during that time as well. Made sure to take all my old PCs with me! :biggrin

It’s not a race; take the exam when you feel ready. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

*That* is a great truth!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I was on the A+ for about 5 months.

We all absorb knowledge at different speeds,especially the older i get, the slower the process is :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

Thanks all for your reply, am soon gonna be studying for an A+. Iv'e just bought Mike Meyer's A+ & N+ book at Amazon.com for £56.09. Cant wait to start :D

WIP: A+, N+
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's between age, experience, and how long since you last studied I think.

I only finished my A Levels 3 years ago, but they were virtually all languages (and history), which seem to be different beasts to learning about PCs. Also, I had experience, but not too much. And no jargon.

So I've been on the A+ for about 8 months now. I'm hoping to pass by March, and move on to the N+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Similar experience here to some of the other guys who posted. Think I did my A+ over about 10 weeks, but I have had allot of experience in the subject matter.

It was my first Cert so I probably spent longer than normal as I didn't want to start with a failure. :)

One of the better ways of telling if you are ready is to take practice exams (Transcender are highly recommended). If you are scoring very well on those it generally means you don't have too many gaps in your knowledge.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

two months with me too cause i knew the stuff.. if you have hands on BEFORE doing any cert (like vendors say we should) then any cert is possible quickly!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

agreed. I memorised (not studied as I knew the theory) for a week prior to passing the A+ and I did zero prep for my Frontpage MCP and passed both with flying colours, only because I already knew the stuff from work.

I recall doing the IIS and TCP/IP exams for NT4 however and barely scraping a pass despite hours of study as I'd no practical experience in those areas.

The more real world experience the better when going for certs, whether that be gained at home in a vmaware lab or on the job...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To tell the truth, I didn't really study for the A+, apart from 1 year 6 months on the job then a couple of weeks (I use this term loosely) going thru the a A+ training course on CD which bored the Sh*t out of me.

That's me... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I bought the book for doing A+ and it sat around for about a year with me reading a few pages occasionally. Then I pulled my finger out and it took about 3 weeks for each part (OS and hardware).

As mentioned earlier, to each their own. It doesn't do any good comparing your study method to mine or anyone else's. Go at a pace that is comfortable for you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I'm a month into my A+ studies,the first certification in this field for me,outside of product certification in my industry.I'm anticipating a 4 month study period in all,perhaps a little more before I'll be ready to take the exams.I't kind of depends on how you choose to take your studies too.If,like me,you're concentrating largely on book studies,backed up by CBT nuggets video's,it's going to be quite a long learning time,but that's got to fit between home,familly and work commitments too.

Certifications: A+ Network+