how long did it take u to pass?

Discussion in 'A+' started by altottenham_hotspur, Sep 6, 2007.

1. altottenham_hotspur

altottenham_hotspur Bit Poster

hello everyone

i posted on here about month and half ago, introducing myself and asking a few questions about the compTIA

i have been busy working away through the mike meyers book, done 10 chapters now, im pretty sure i have learned more from this book in the last month and half, then i did in the 4 years i was at college! what a waste of time and money college was!

anyway decided i would have ago at the practice essentails exam this morning that came with the book, i got 56% not bad i think cos i still got another 14 chapters to read

i seem to be flying through the book and wondered if this was the norm? and just wondering how long it took most people to do? from getting the book to sitting the exam?

Certifications: HP Certified, CompTIA A+,MCP,MCDST
    WIP: hhmm
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd say from my experience with the A+, thats the norm. I'd read through the Meyer's book cover to cover in about 2 months.

One thing I would suggest would to not do the practice exam questions yet, because if you do, when you've finished the book and want to evaluate your position, you wont have any fresh questions to try it on. (Unless you buy Transcender, which I recommend when you think your ready). Going over the same questions will just give you a false result, as you've already seen and done them questions.

Good luck with the continued studying, sounds like your going well on the whole :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Experience and aptitude have a lot to do with it. If you've got a background in something mechanical or electrical, that could help. Even if you don't have that experience, you may just have a natural ability in this area. Keep studying and good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There is no "norm"... as Trip stated, it has to do with your experience and aptitude. It took me NO time to study for the A+, because I didn't need to study for it... I had 6 years of "real-world experience", 23 years of "messing with computers", and several certifications before going in to take the A+ exams. Thus, my experience will be vastly different from someone who has never touched a computer before. On the other hand, it would take me far longer to take a programming exam than it would take a programmer, simply because I haven't programmed since 1987, using BASIC.

Study until you understand the concepts... that's the best advice I can give you. If there are labs, do them... get your hands ON the technology.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I'm finding the reading of the book quite quick to be honest but I end up looking online for further info on certain things and this takes some time. When I do something I usually want to do it to the best of my ability and so I want to learn everything :p

I noticed that the book kinda skimmed over what the Pentium D quad-pumped actually referred to and I have been trying to get an answer for it. Everywhere seems to say different things..

The Intel Dual and Quad cores both have a 1066 FSB but this isn't the real FSB of the CPU, it's 266 at stock but then x2 x2 = 1066

Any1 know why exactly it's x2 x2 ? I think it's something to do with hyperthreading and an additional pipeline within the cpu.. Is this right of wrong? and if so, are they within the core and not each chip?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Part of why the Meyers book is such a quick read is that he's such a good writer. He puts all of that Texas charm and personality into his writing and suddenly it's like you've known the guy for years.

It's like watching Fred Astaire dance in one of his movies. Astaire was a perfectionist and had incredibly high demands on himself and his co-workers. He once said in an interview that even though it takes years of dedication to develop dance skills such as his that he wasn't the movie audience to feel like his dancing is so effortless that they could leave the movie after the show and dance in the streets.

While I don't think Meyers and Astaire had the same goals in life or in their work, one of the things the Meyers book does that dovetails into Astaire's statement is to make it seem "do-able" to someone who might be intimidated by learning PC repair and maintenance.

Certifications: A+ and Network+