How long before I must complete the OS exam?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Celia, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Celia

Celia Bit Poster

I've just passed my Core Hardware exam as an external candidate at a prometric testing centre. I forgot to ask if there is a time limit in which I must complete my OS exam for certification. I'm sure I read something about it but I can't find it on the CompTIA site.

Certifications: BSc, PGCE(1) 16+, ECDL, A+
    WIP: MCDST & N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There is a FAQ section on the site which says:

See here for the FAQs.

Another FAQ says you have until the next update. You should note that there is a likelyhood of an update later this year.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Celia

Celia Bit Poster

Well I'm planning to sit the OS exam by the end of April.

I'm also in the middle of taking my ECDL and I think I need about 4 or 5 weeks to complete the final 3 exams(I've passed the first 5 since late September) as I only go to the training centre 2 days a week for 5 hours. I can't go for longer 'cos I use the shopmobilty scheme to get there as it's right in the centre of town and not accessible to me on foot as I have a chronic medical condition which means I can't walk far enough. Plus they won't let you take the manuals away and I have to fit in with the set exam times and days.

I'll be working on the OS exam for 3 or 4 hours on the other days and then I want 2 or 3 weeks clear after I complete the ECDL to review all the information I need know and practice exam questions. As I'm not working atm I treat my studying as a job. I need to pace myself because of my health problem, it makes me very tired which affects my ability to study.

I won't be able to take a full-time job initially, I'm hoping to find a part-time one which will gradually allow me to work up to full-time hours. Which means it will probably be in office administration or some form of helpdesk. The progress of my recovery is very slow and frustrating but at least it gives me time to study.

Certifications: BSc, PGCE(1) 16+, ECDL, A+
    WIP: MCDST & N+
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK - a few thoughts from me!

1) CompTIA have always in the past given plenty of notice of a change in their certs. So you should have notice of this and be able to make changes in priorities where needed.

2) When I signed up for ECDL I was told that the time required to complete was 2 years. In addition, if I fell out with the company I was with I could demand my 'log-book' and take it elsewhere.

I realize that you may be under rather more limited circs, but this may help you to bargain with people better!

Finaly - my own view is not to try and do more than one cert at a time - but this may be age talking!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+