How good is this book for prep for the A+ exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by peterp, Jul 2, 2004.

1. peterp

peterp Bit Poster

Hi Guys
    I'm sure i've seen mentioned that Mike Meyer's books are amongst the best for reading for tha A+ exams.
    The one I'm thinking of getting is the "All-in -one" exam guide-covering 220-301 & 220-320 exam codes.
    Can someone please tell me if this is the best book to buy,covering the latest exam requirements....or are there better ones out there!!
    (I'm currently reading Sybex's A+ Fast Pass & A+Jump Start for the above exam codes.)
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times before!!

Many thanks as usual.
    Peter.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Can't really comment on any other book as I've only got MM. This is an excellent book to read, light and easy.

Maybe the others can add more about other texts.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. peterp

peterp Bit Poster

Thanks Nugget
    Actually thats just spurred another thought.
    Is it enough to only study from the one best recommended book to pass the exams?
    Peter.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't usually recommend only one text for a cert but in the case of the Meyers book, it really is quite good...probably the best on the market. I passed the A+ by using Meyers book and by taking a course in Computer Hardware. The later was necessary for me since I had no prior knowledge or experience regarding the innards of PCs. I struggled a bit with the OS section and was particularly concerned with the issues of memory addresses and DOS. While I don't think that DOS is much of an issue with the exam anymore, just keep in mind that anything on the official list of topics put out by CompTIA is fair game for the exam.

I don't recall if you'd mentioned this or not, but it would be a big help to have a few older PCs to open up and play with. When I took the exam, I answered questions based more on what I'd done rather than what I remembered reading. Seems experience is the best teacher after all. I don't have any experience with other A+ texts in terms of taking the exam (I've written parts of others, tho) so I can't comment on them. Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. peterp

peterp Bit Poster

Hi Tripwire
    Thanks for the reply.
    I absolutely agree that experience is the best tutor and have taken the step of obtaining a second PC for the Hardware aspect.
    Are you saying that in terms of literature you found that the only book you needed was the MM as mentioned?

Kind regards
    Peter.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can say the only book I used was Meyers' book. Usually, I recommend a variety of texts since normally, one book doesn't cover it all. I do have to say that since I also was in a school program, I had my lecture notes to work from plus the labs the class provided. Guess it was a combination of all that I used to prepare. Meyers also produces a lab manual for the A+ and additionally a Passport series (sort of like Cram Exam) that is a brief study guide for the subject. If you can afford it, you might want to get a good mock test software such as http://www.transcender.com to test yourself.

Certifications: A+ and Network+