How 'easy' (or difficult) is a first line helpdesk IT job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've got the impression from some posters that you have to stick to a script, and other tasks include resetting passwords.

Not that I'm hoping for an easy ride, you understand :dry

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It is typically a challenge of endurance, not a challenge of your mental abilities. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It all depends on how much you know and what in house programs there is and training provided. Monday morning was always bad and you would get call after call with maybe 20-30 in the queue. The main thing is the time limit, ours was 6mins. A password reset in 6 mins was great but recreating a profile, remote accessing or repairing a pst wasnt.

It is more about just getting battered rather than the complexity you will have to handle.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I really depends on the organisation. I have worked for on a call desk where there was very little support you could give and i took a high volume of calls. Now in a different company im a Junior Service Desk Analyst but still '1st line'. I handle password resets but then all problems come through me and a Colleague so i can go as in depth to solve the problem as my knowledge allows.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

We tend to ask a fair bit of knowledge from the SD staff in the company I work for, and IMO, their job probably isnt all that easy since we offload a fair bit to them.

Occasionally a ticket or two gets filtered down to us and we're stuck with a "doh" moment, but hey, you can't know it all, and I'm pretty sure the SD team in my company has trickd up their sleeve that I don't know...

So yeah, as was mentioned, it depends on the company. Some SD staff is there to just pickup calls and offload them to 2nd level support once they know what type of issue it is (tokens,vpn, password problems, the list goes on).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM