How does pass mark work

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by j1mgg, Aug 12, 2009.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I was just wondering how the pass mark works for comptia exams. I think it would be a good thing to have in this part of the forum.

Thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You score over the pass mark - you pass. You score under the pass mark - you fail.
    :biggrin
    Simples.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

"You score over the pass mark - you pass. You score under the pass mark - you fail.

Simples."

And he still wonders why people think Croydon's the arsehole of London??

I'm only annoyed as he got there first with the sarcastic comment - AND the fact I was born in MayDay hospital, Croydon!

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - ya want sarcasm, you should check out some of my other posts - this was mild in comparison!

And kudos to you on being born in MayDay and surviving without any major birth defects.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

LOL @ this thread

Nobody knows how the pass marks work because compTIA and Microsoft etc don't release this info to try and stop cheating.

With the A+ when I took it I thought some questions were worth more than others but I would be guessing.

I have heard of people failing on MS exams even though they have scored over 700 which is what their pass mark is and apparently some people have scored over a 1000 which is what their top mark is supposed to be.

It is thought that some questions with multiple answers may only score one or two marks but a question with one answer on a harder topic may score more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

A major corporation changing the goalposts to suit its standing?

REALLY? seriously, you jest???

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We've covered this before, and basically Zeb is right - albeit phrased in his own special way.

Does it really matter 'how the passmark works'?
    Passmarks for exams are always published so you know what you're aiming for, however it isn't always the case that 'one correct answer equals one point'. Some questions are weighted differently than others and sometimes you come across beta questions that don't count towards your total.

Is a 'choose one from the following four' question worth the same as a 'choose all that apply from the following ten', or a simulation?

Knowing how the score works isn't any use to you.
    All you can do is turn up on the day and do your best.
    You won't have a clue how well you have done until you click that 'end test' button - and would it really matter if you did?

Wouldn't it be great if they showed your score as you worked through the exam?
    That way you could keep guessing at answers until you got a mark for it, then move onto the next question.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Zeb, if you're planning on flying on holiday this year make sure you leave a bit of extra time for check-in...

And wear clean pants.

:eek:

9. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

Now now Jonny,

In 10 years i've only ever had two people met by HMCE at Heathrow with a smile and a rubber glove. (grin)

True though innit. What's the point in knowing the pass mark? I deal with exams every day and our delegates are constantly asking for the pass mark and "what happens if i fail?"
    What happened to people knowing their stuff and giving an exam a bloody good go??

Is the price of failure that high these days???

can i say it??? go on, let me.......

"I blame it on the YOOF of today!!" ahhhh that felt better...

10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You might have missed this thread but it seems anyone who says they got over 700 and failed, or got over 1000, in a MS exam is either confused or telling porkies.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. greenbrucelee

maybe the guy at my work is lying, he failed one of his MCSA exams and he says he scored 710 :blink

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it depends on when he sat the exam, the standard passing score of 700 was brought in about 6 or 5 years ago. Before that different exams had different passing scores.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. greenbrucelee

this was 3 months ago :D

14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Either he got "mixed" up with his score report or he found a way to bend time so that he could take the exam in the past.

My gut feeling is the latter :twisted:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

He bent time?

That's awesome!!!

:eek::biggrin

16. simonkn

simonkn Bit Poster

Did he take it in Charlotte, North Carolina? I think that's a town that's still operating in the late 70's...

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You must not have ever been there. :rolleyes: Charlotte's quite a nice place, and has a fair bit of technology considering its proximity to Raleigh.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!