How do you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A member on another board I haunt and torment started this topic, and I thought I'd bring it over here.

I think it would be interesting, and could give insight as to how some people link their studying with actually remembering what they read.

Here is the post that started the thread:

I tend to think in pictures. Whenever I write my notes, I often use different colours for different topics to help jog my memory.

How do you guys think?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Which board do you haunt Arroryn?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

In order to test what have remembered I write things out and then rewrite them in short concise notes with questions.

Then do Questions in testing prep software8)

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

www.thecourt.net

Originally we were a breakaway group of Elder Scrolls fans. Now we're still a group of Elder Scrolls fans. It's just we're all around five years older :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Nice colours on the web page, easy to read:biggrin

OMG! You got over 6K posts

Who designed it?

What happen to your idea or invention you were working on?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmm i need to think about how to answer this...

...i suppose i mainly think in words, the words just seem to pop into my head - i can of course, if i try, actually summon up certain types of thought patterns but usually it's just as if i am talking to myself. if the need arises i can pull in pictures or scenes from past events, everything it seems is stored in my noggin somewhere, unfortunately it is not always easy to access specific details at the appropriate time.

My short term memory is hopeless and i can't rely on it, so if i am studying, it is pointless unless i make sure i understand it sufficiently well so that it makes sense and will naturally be added to my logical thought process - i am not one of those people with a photographic type memory that just needs to quickly read something once and it is absorbed, i wish it were that easy. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

At the moment my mind is in a right mess, so I guess I think in a mass of squiggly lines :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think in pictures. I can usually envision where things are on a page I've read.

After my Divemaster written exam, I was reviewing my answers with the instructor. One of my answers was wrong according to the answer key, and I told the instructor, "This can't be right... over on page 83, there's a dive table that shows..." blah, blah, blah... we turned to that page, and I was right.

All Divemasters are given a nickname. After what happened in the exam, my instructor dubbed me Divemaster Spock. The name stuck (as do all Divemaster nicknames). 8)

Live long, and prosper. :alien

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Words and Diagrams I think.

I can visualise most network problems in my head without having to draw them out, which I suppose indicates I think in pictures.

I guess people that think in 'movies' are the creative, imaginative type. The only time I think like this is when I'm reading a good book - I sometimes 'cast' it with actors which helps me visualise the book and makes it even better. I did this for years with Terry Pratchett's books, have done it with Robert Crais' Elvis Cole books and did it with the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy long before the film was made (oddly, in my mind I had cast Stephen Fry - who ended up being the voice of the guide, as Slartibartfast)

I used to think I was really creative when i was younger, but have since discovered that, in reality, I don't have a creative bone in my body - as my crappy website bears witness to...:oops:

I was really into AD&D for a time as a kid, but got bored with being a DM after about a year - along with almost every other thing I did when I was younger it proved to be a passing fad.

I've since given up on writing - I used to do it a lot when i was young, i think most kids who are more intelligent than the halfwits surrounding them in school think they're going to be a great writer.

About the only thing I am any good at creatively is music - I seem to be able to play almost everything I hear by ear - I can't read a single note of music but have taught myself the guitar to a pretty decent standard.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Same here, born and bred in Croydon too, sheesh we shoud have got together for a jam before i moved 12000 miles away but if you ever come to QLD, we will have a beer whilst we jam 12 bar blues and talk about L2TP verses PPTP VPNs to our hearts content 8)

11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

How do I think ?

Well, I dont usually. Thinking is just too much effort for me.

But I can tell you that I have some really horrible nightmares from time to time. Like last night for instance, I dreamt I went out with some guys on a bank robbery which successfully netted us 8 million quid. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the other guys doublecrossed me and shot me in the head and then I died and woke up. So now I've got a headache.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Sounds like your were off your head mate:p :biggrin

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Steady now Pete...

I wasn't born or bred in Croydon - i just happen to live in the shithole :biggrin

I've always thought it was a real coincidence though - you being from round here and both of us being musos! Whereabouts did you live? I'm in West Croydon - near the old Safari Cinema (which, as you won't know of course, is currently being demolished to make way for more poxy flats)

Oh, and I was in Queensland about a month ago for my brother's wedding! Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays to be precise. Stopped off in Brisbane to catch a connecting flight, so actually saw nothing of QLD mainland except the inside of the airport...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

:blink

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was born in Oakfield road east croydon, grew up in chapman road west croydon, bought my first house in thornton heath, moved to south norwood near selhust park, then moved to purley, then finally to wallington near the plough pub - then got the hell outta there :biggrin

16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thoughts in general are...In Pictures...and...colours, with a constant voice that changes accents :blink

I always have fantastic dreams and very dark nightmares.

Pictures and funny stories are the best way to get info into my head, and make it stay there!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm gonna be in Croydon soon using a recording studio there, there's one right by East Croydon station. Tiny little place but does the trick for good bunce (although it's under new management now so they've probably hiked it all up.

Normally I think in a mixture of images and sounds. If I am trying to work something out, I picture myself talking to me like in a newscaster way, giving me the facts and telling me what to do with them. If I get bored of me I replace the newscaster with Angelina Jolie or something, works wonders!!!!!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I think and wonder if i am!

A little voice in my head talks to me when i think, its what gives me ideas. Unfortunatley sometimes its too fast for my brain and gets the words outta my mouth before my brain can stop it!

As for dreams. they are very definatley in full glorious technicolor! Most of my dreams always seem so real that i think im awake. If i wake during a particularly vivid dream it takes me time to remeber that it didnt actually happen! even the wierd ones! :twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  19. d335b1tc4z0r

d335b1tc4z0r Bit Poster

i think in pictures. i have, or at least used to have, a photographic memory.

a picture tells a 1000 words. some dude needed 10000 words for his thesis. messed abt all year then drew 10 pictures. suvervisor was a nutcase, saw the logic, gave him an A+

unlike that slacker, i worked hard for my degree, but admittedly am still thick when it comes to everyday life. but arroryn is both beauty and brains - she r0xx0rz! :biggrin ...and it rubs off!