How do you stay motivated to study for certification?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Feb 10, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've really lost the motivation for self study so I ended up doing a couple of intensive courses and I am seriously considered going on some more for my Microsoft Certifications. Depends on the funding issue.

I used to just leave the book on my desk and flick through it whenever I had 5 minutes. Select a specific part out of the contents and read it. and then skim through even if it meant reading the same things again by mistake.
    As for motivation? I just look at the end result and long term.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I have set up a study plan now for three nights a week and am trying to do a chapter each might of reading over an taking notes. I am just working through that and main motivation is to get a better job where i feel more part of something and more involved.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm in a similar position to you Jim as I too have been absolutely hammering it recently. Short term motivation is currently knowing that after 70-297, I only have to do a client exam to get my MCSE, which I'm actually quite looking forward to. Have this weekend all booked up for a Windows 7 course which should help.

Bigger picture motivation is definitely two fold:-

• Better job prospects (+ associated pay-rises)
    • Knowledge

I have to agree though, when studying a little bit every day really does help. I often set smaller aims (say a chapter a day) and try not to concentrate on the bigger picture so much. If I start to think to myself, "hey after this book I've only got another 6 to read" that doesn't bode particularly well.

I hope you find the motivation to knock out the last one and get your MCSE soon matey :)

Qs

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Ive found it very hard to keep to 8 hours a week studying a week which was my original plan but now I'm struggling to do 3 hours a week of revision :(

I found that I didn't know as much as I thought I did about computers for a start and I misunderstood how detailed the first certification A+ would be in terms of the inner workings of hardware and software.
    I have been told by others that I am very quick at understanding things with computers but having not had any further education since leaving secondary school 4 years ago now I think I tend to have a very low attention span, that being the main thing I need to improve on, as a quick break to have something to eat infront of the TV then turns to something like "oh look Independence day is on TV I'll watch that" then thats revision gone out the window for that night, unless I get back to revising at midnight but then when I revise that late at night I find that whatever you are reading doesn't tend to be absored as much it then becomes a waste of time if your not taking in the information :(

I end up then subconsciously finding reasons to not revise for the A+... is this a really bad sign or am I needing to just get a study plan nailed in? is anyone else having these problems?

The whole thing with Advent going bang doesn't help matters at all, makes me feel a bit like Ive already failed some how... fingers crossed though for a refund or getting a better training provider either one I'm happy with as I feel somehow incapable of teaching myself to such an extent with no support via phone or email.

Perhaps If I get a refund from the Advent course I can come here on a regular basis to have my questions answered :D I mean you all seem like a very knowledgable bunch so I feel safe to do that :p

:iluvcf

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Cool. What's the MSCE?

:twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Typo corrected :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good question, I didn’t struggle for motivation when I was doing the MCSE as that was one cert that I wanted as it would help me in my job (at the time) and also would be great for the CV.

Kinda lost my motivation after finishing the MCITP:EA as work was starting to eat into my time allocated for studying but starting to get back on track now.

I’m hoping to pass a couple of exams this year if I can.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Motivation for me is keeping an eye on the 5-year plan. Once the studying is a routine, it's much easier to stick with it. It's just when the routine falls apart, it can take forever to get back on track again. :blink

9. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

You guys are right, it's time to get my head down and start learning some stuff I have worked in I.T for about 6 years now and it's about time I get some exams done and dusted. I'm going to go with the 70-680 first that is my first target once I have got that then I will list my second no point in listing it yet until I have kicked the 70-680's ass lol one step at a time.

Ive got Two machines setup with 7 enterprise ready to go! for me it now has to be Study > PS3

I'll probs start with a few entry level Certs and hopefully work my way into a new role in which I can gain exposure to some server, networking stuff and then go for the MCITP: Server Administrator.

Besides i'm a idiot if I put the effort in and got some certs and combined it with my experience I would be onto a winner right?

f**k it my goal is to achieve more certs then You lol