How do you list your skills after Comptia certs/Personal Profile on a CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I certainly do have skills but in terms of PC hardware, should I generalise by putting 'upgrading PCs' or should I be more specific and mention installing CPUs, hard drives, expansion cards etc. Or could I put both?

I've got Virtual PC in my skills section. Mention home lab? Upgrading my own PC?

I've got 'knowledge of TCP/IP suite of protocols (DNS, DHCP) but I'm a bit wary of putting subnetting!

From office jobs, I've skills in MS Office 07 (Word/Excel/Access)

In a previous office job, I received some high appraisal ratings and a company award so could they be included?

I'm doing voluntary work (but in a non-IT role, too many other volunteers, not enough work)

Could I be a bit cheeky and claim to have helped out with the IT in my voluntary work or even a past (office) job? :oops:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Put upgrading or building PCs list lots of components that you have installed before will only bore the person reading it.

List the offic apps you have skill in.

If you have been singled out for high praise put a bit about it but dont do it if it was just an appraisal and your manager said well done, that will just make you look like a ****.

If you have been involved in projects include those

Have a look at this old CV of mine it helped me get my current job, it was done before I passed my MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ooops for got it

Remember you can tweak things in your CV such as hardware setup and configuration (basically that could really mean plugging in an ipod and setting up itunes) but it sounds good.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Thanks for that.:D

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

As GBL has said, too much detail can be a bit wearing for the reader.
    You need to think about what is actually significant.

I'd assume that if you can swap out a power supply, you can probably swap out the memory and other components, so I wouldn't list them seperately. It's all about common sense. If you listed every skill that you learned with A+, your CV would run on a bit.

If you've got a decent lab setup, you can say that you have networking skills. I wouldn't put that it was a home lab on a CV, but don't be afraid to mention it in the interview.

Things like good appraisals/awards can come under the relevant work experience.
    Most people make the mistake of just writing down their job description. To say that you were an admin assistant responsible for answering the phone, writing letters, photocopying and making tea is a waste of space. We all know what an admin assistant does. But if you got good reviews and won 'admin assistant of the year', then that is something we do want to know.

Being cheeky is fine, but don't lie.
    A good interviewer will spot a lie straight away. If you say that you helped out in IT for a previous employer, all they have to ask is 'doing what?' No matter how well you think it through, they'll catch you out.

There's no real right answer. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what a CV should look like and how it should be presented. Even the 'experts'.

The short facts are that your CV is a ticket to an interview.
    Combined with your covering letter, it should show that you have all the skills and experience that they have asked for in the job description. Too much can often be as bad as too few.

These days, many companies save time by running your CV through an analysis program which just matches up key words that they are looking for (a step forward from when we had a piece of paper to check them off on).

Mind you, I can't remember the last time I had to use a CV. Everyone seems to want you to fill out application forms these days, which is a right royal pain. I suppose it ensures continuity and stops coloured paper and odd fonts affecting their judgement. I suppose too that it means you've actually put some work into applying for a job rather than just printing off a dozen CVs...

Obviously, if they are looking for a particular skill, such as virtualization or databases, make sure it is included. At the top.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Should I mention my (albeit currently basic) knowledge of SQL that I've gained from my current OU studies?

Or would that not be particularly relevant if I'm going for a first line job?

7. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I was actually complimented on my past appraisals that were mentioned in my CV during a recent job interview, for an office job though.:biggrin

Didn't get the office job though:(

8. David Harley

David Harley New Member

I realise that this is an old thread, but as someone who routinely employs IT staff, I need to know what you are capable of. While certification is great, I need to know whether you've had experience on Windows 7 upgrades/Wireless survey/Data centre patching and similar skills or experience. That said, I'm generally filling short-term Level 1 or lower level 2 roles. So someone that doesn't have a Comptia but has had experience with a large scale office move might interest me more than someone with a Comptia but has only worked for a few years as a support engineer.

I think that when the roles are longer term, the certifications become more important and then the basic skills are assumed. So it's horses for courses.

I guess that the rule is that your CV should change for every job you apply for. Tailoring it for the specific role and company. You are 'selling' yourself and every 'quote' should be unique.