How do you guys deal with Rude\Arrogant\Annoying people in the workplace

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by warrmr, Nov 10, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

yeah it does seem that way there is a huge office in Inverness and one in Narin where they can get away with employing school leavers and paying them £11,000. there not alowed foregin helpdesk as its part of there contract with PwC they got in trouble for having Polish staff in one of there service centers.

Thanx Suttar it does seem the way to go keep convorsation to a minimum and just let him get on with things. its just a little hard being the whole team is 3 people at the moment, we may also have to train some noobies up in a couple of weeks aswell.

everyone seems to be on the same playing field of just ignore him and he will leave.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

They already know thats why there shipping him and us back to inverness. we are going live and he has to resit all of his training. then if he is still shite when the noobies come then god knows what will happen.

Prime example when his test call come through.

the phone rings hes sat there with his head set on and the phone is ringing he just looks at it we then tell him to press the outside line button to answer it he then sits there like a rabbit in headlights and doesnt say a word. when he finnally realised he had actually answered his phone and there was a customer on teh other end he went into his speial and ended up getting 74% on his test call. so hes not that bad ( he only managed to fix the problem cos he put the customer on hold and asked us what to do when you can near enough type the problem into our Knowlage base and it will tel you how to fix it. )

we will see how this week pans out as i know this is make or break time for all of us.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Classic helpdesk, put the customer on hold and ask one of the other guys, then fix the problem and take the credit.

Next time he asks say you are on a call and cant help him. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sparky's is correct - just shrug your shoulders etc! Eventually he'll become that stressed that he'll get up and walk out!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

or just disappear to the toilet for a while...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

QFT - ah the good ole days! :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL yes noel I forgot that one!!! I was offered the job at ITNET whilst in the Crap Gemini toilet - of course I wasn't doing anything in there! The only way one could answer their mobile at that shithole was to have a toilet break!!!

Oh how I miss those days!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

The guy sound's a complete idiot, I'd agree with those who recommend keeping the least amount of contact with him as possible.

Must say I find it strange that because he can't absorb basic training they are sending you all back to Scotland again.

Oh, and if he throws peanuts at you again lean over and explain to him politely but firmly that if he ever does that again you'll glass him :twisted: :D

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I actually lol'ed at that last comment Brizoh. :)

Good luck dealing with this idiot warrmr. I'd echo the advice of some of the others. By helping him when he asks for advice you are just prolonging his time with you guys. I'd just play dumb whenever he asks anything on a call. Oh and keep a glass handy for the other thing. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most guys like that end up getting what's coming to them, sooner or later. They'll be passed over for promotion, or they'll be transferred to another site/department, or they'll be fired.

I'll generally try to be as pleasant to them as possible so I'm not exacerbating the situation. If the behavior continues, I'll usually report them to their supervisor. If management refuses to do anything about them, then that's often a red flag - it's only a matter of time before something else sucks about the job due to poor management... so I'd start looking around for other opportunities at that point.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

You get people like this in schools quite often, whether as conslutants or teachers telling you how to do the job (or lazy gits who blag their way into schools because they can change a toner ... well .. sort of change it ... they usually forget to remove seal strips or the like!)

Smile, document the fsck ups, inform the relevant members of manglement.

If you are feeling nasty there are lots you can do ... transfer all the difficult calls to him so that he gets stitched up and clients complain. If he can't deal and escalates them all the time 2nd line will quickly moan about him.

Once you have clearance I presume you are just going to be in the same desk but have calls routed to you? I know of a friend who was moved office when he got his (dealing with other security areas) and a dork thought it funny to 'borrow' her swipe. It got dealt with as identity theft, instant dismissal and taken to court.

Or you could just stick an etherkiller on his box.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This trick might help depending on the phone system you are using.

When a call comes into the helpdesk generally it will go to the helpdesk agent that has the highest availability time, basically this is the time you have been available since your last call.

Your phone may have an ‘unavailable’ button, this is used when you are working remotely on a problem and you have told the user that you will call them back when you are done. You can’t take a call when you are doing this so that’s when you flick the ‘unavailable’ button.

If you tap the unavailable button for a second it resets your availability time. If you wait a few seconds after the UWOS finishes a call, press the unavailable button for a second, that will mean your availability time is lower than the UWOS. He gets the next call!

I should write a book, “Helpdesk uncovered” hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Exactly the scam we ran just as the helpdesk I was working on closed..... this poor guy got caned constantly for a whole day - shame he didn't realise what was happening as we just pretended to be talking to users.....

Another way, if the company detects when you're "unavailable", and depends on your phone system, dial your own extension, it used to show up that I was busy on the phone, no-one knew who to and it appeared as if a user had called........ longest time spent on that was 1.5 hours or there abouts :twisted::biggrin

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good trick... but know that those stats can be used against you as well... I used to be a call center analyst... if we could track that stuff in the early 90s, just think of what can be tracked nowadays!

I should write a book, "ACDs uncovered." 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

yeah there are a couple of tricks i descovered accidently and i nearly got shot by a team leader for it.

asicly when you finish a call you go into "wrap up" im guessing thats what you mean by the "unavalable button" do if you double tap it it extends the time from 2 mins to 6 mins.

or if its like 5 mins to your break and dont wanna take a call you can press release and avalable and it stacks you to the back of the que.

now heres how i nearly got shot i ended a call and double tapped wrap up while i was writing the call up. then i pressed the internal line button. now my team leader wanted to talk to me now instead of walking 15ft to my desk she tryed to call me. so she kicked me out of wrap up form her workstation then called me and the phone put her on hold automaticly i got shot big time.

Im not fussed about UWOS no more as he has sat a weeks more training and he has been buddied up on th ephones now again and he keeps getting shipped form analyst to analyst as he wont listen to them and he is "scottishist" thats racist to the scotts.

Boston its amazing what the aspect hones log the team leader has ultemat power to do what they like to your phone. if any one cared to look the system up there aspect phones..