How do you deal with hating your job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi all basically I have a minimum wage job, I wont tell you the job role as I have a feeling my employer has once looked at my internet history and seen these forums so to be on the safe side I wont state my role as he probs doesnt know my username, all I will say is I dont work in IT.

I hate my job to the point where I sometimes debate whether I should just not turnup, but then I think of all the bills I have to pay for... I got my monthly pay today and I felt very violated as I thought of all those hours slaving for such a terrible pay. I really want to quit but if I do I may aswell go jump of a bridge as I have credit cards to pay off etc. I dont know how to even deal with it anymore as it makes me so unhappy. Alot of people may say "youre lucky to have a job" but honestly I dont feel lucky.. saying Im lucky to have a job is like saying to an Indonesian child working in a sweat shop that they are lucky to have a job, as I am pretty much treated the same way, as I am at times not even granted a break after doing 16hrs.

How would you deal with this situation?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need a plan mate.

If credit cards are causing an issue then speak to the bank – they might be able to offer a debt repayment plan that will save you some £££ in comparison to the credit card payments you are making. Alternatively look for a 0% credit card and have try and have some discipline to pay off what you owe on the new card.

Job wise ideally what do you want to do? Pick something realistic and go for it. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This can happen in IT too ;)

Its illegal to not give you a certain amount of breaks, this depends on a lot of circumstances such as age and type of work. Its definitely not indonesia.
    https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break

A lot of IT jobs come with large amounts of unpaid overtime, but after some years you will definitely not be on minimum wage if you're any good.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi, you would be surprised how many people feel the same way you do. I think it is quite normal for people to feel like they are just getting by. I work in IT and as said above, you sometimes have extremely stressful days, feel like you were robbed in your appraisal etc. I think that is typical of practically any job sometimes.

You need to focus your energy on turning your situation around. As said figure out what you would like to do. Be realistic. I'd love to be a doctor but by the time I'd spent 5 years in med school me and the kids would be living on the streets. Then figure out how you get from here to there. Likely some sort of training or certification is required.

I'm sure it will be hard but you will reap the rewards in the end, hopefully, no one can guarantee anything anymore.

Good luck
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I changed jobs...

A lot of makes the decision for you in these circumstances is your own determination, I was in a truly crappy place personally with my last employer (to the point I was actually signed off work for a while with stress and depression, fun times). I realised that in the circumstances the only person who could change things was me, so I updated my CV, had a friendly recruitment consultant take a look at it and tweak and then fired it out EVERYWHERE, any and every job I even remotely liked the look of and then the important bit...

I followed up every application with a phone call or an email to make sure they had received my application and knew I was keen to interview. It sparked peoples interest and although it took a while I have now moved to a job were I feel valued, more relaxed and happy and have the added bonus of being better paid!

You make your own luck, particularly in your working life. Give us a look at your CV and I'm sure guys on here will do their best to help you improve your chances. Chin up, its not over yet, not by a long shot!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. kingoranks

kingoranks Bit Poster

I understand how you feel, its a crazy world mate but only you can change your future. 1
    1 Have a plan
    2 Start looking for something else to do
    3 do not take crap for so long,it may affect your health

All the best mate.

Certifications: MCP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSA
    WIP: SERVER 2008- (70-640)
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I can sympathise here, ive been in that situation where it used to question myself about going into the job i was doing at the time. The only way at the time i saw to get out was to go to uni at the age of 30, which was a big step for me, dropping from a regular wage to not much. I was glad to leave although now that uni has finished, im still trying to get my career on some sort of track.

If i were you, i would just grin and bear it, keep looking for work you want to do and something will turn up. And the best bit is, youll get an offer and walk into your boss and say heres my notice, and do so with an air of smugness about it ha ha

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680