How do they mark Multiple choice questions?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by quackers, Jun 1, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Sorry, this may sound like a really stupid question. I've been going through the CCNA via the cisco academy, now all the way through when doing exams if you come across a multiple choice question and you get two out of three etc, you'll get some marks.

I had a go of the full ccna practise exam last night, i didnt expect to pass as i'm still ropey on a couple of subjects but i got a really bad mark. When i had a look at the questions i got wrong, i noticed i didnt get anything for the multiple choice questions, when i got two out of three etc

Is it like that on the full CCNA Exam? I was a bit shocked last night :eek:

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, yeah.

But don't worry about it too much. Just keep on studying and practicing and you'll be okay.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Thats rough Quakers. Its like answering 3 questions in one!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I had one of those ! And it was more like five questions and they were all bloody HARD. And they're time-eaters too. Good thing they came almost at the end of my exam and I still had a bit of time to spare.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

More importantly, it requires that you understand the whole concept, not just pieces of a concept. Which, in my opinion, is preferable to vendors who are considering granting a certification to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

quackers,

Which "full ccna practise exam" did you use?

From the perspective of a person who failed the 640-801 CCNA exam the first time, then passing it the second time, failing a practice exam is less heartwrenching than failing the real thing. You said it yourself "...i didnt expect to pass as i'm still ropey on a couple of subjects..." so go back to studying the topics deeper. You also said "...When i had a look at the questions i got wrong, i noticed i didnt get anything for the multiple choice questions, when i got two out of three etc..." Keep in mind that a purpose of exam simulators is to help you find your weaknesses BEFORE the real exam. You've already paid for the exam simulator so there's no "retake fee." With the real exam, you're more than welcome to answer only two out of three, but what if that third of three was worth 1 point, and you failed the real exam by 1 point? I failed my first attempt by 15 points. I incurred a "retake fee" of another exam fee for my second attempt. On another IT forum I know, someone failed by 2 points. So don't you now see that marking that question wrong is a little "tough love" to help you earn as many points on the real exam to pass therefore avoiding additional retake fees?

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA