how do folks?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by moominboy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hiya folks. just thought id join these forums for a bit of help with what the hell im gonna do in ict!! thought id go for A+,N+, mcse/mcsa but decided that'd be running before i could walk so im going to trim it a bit. dont suppose any folks have any suggestions as to how to get my feet on the ladder with basic quals? the only experience i have is of fixing my own and mates pcs from stuff i learned from forums but nothing else.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Start with your A+. Get your feet wet and then go onto the networking certs. It sounds like you're fairly technical if you have been able to do repairs from what you've learned in forums so A+ should be a good place to start. I think that's where 90% of started, with respect to certs. It will introduce you to the basic computer architecture and how it works, and then go on to introduce you operating system principles. Just get yourself a lab and copies of the different OS's so you can play with them, learn them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i was thinking of installing linux along with win xp but got scared by mentions of partitioning and such!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. ffreeloader

It's not as hard as it sounds. Do a little research and reading before you start and you'll be able to figure it out. If you've installed XP, Win 2K, 9x, and partitioned a hard drive with DOS or the install routines for XP or Win 2K it won't be much different. Besides, if you can do this on a second computer all you have to do if you make a mistake is reboot to the install cd and start over. You haven't broken anything. All that's happened is you've learned that one way you tried won't work. You just go on to try something different the next time.

I've learned a lot that way. Sometimes trial and error is the only way to figure some things out when you're first getting started.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings moominboy. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. As Freddy pointed out, the A+ is the recommended place to start.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome Moominboy.

I see that Freddy has already given you some sound advise. You should listen to him, he's good! :biggrin

8. ffreeloader

:oops: :rolleyes: :colour

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member