How do employers rate certifications against a degree?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Maseybaby, Sep 26, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Any vacancies? :p

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

Uni should be made for everybody who wants to attend.

I failed my A levels not because I wasn't good enough, but because in the 3 - 4 months leading up to my A levels and during I was at the hospital by my dads bedside every night.

I think it would be extremely unfair to be denied a position at University and basically not be allowed to go down the route I'd like simply because I was unfortunate at that time.

I'm at University now and I'm doing really really well.

Reply to Western Kings btw :P

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

As other people said above, I think both are recommended. I've just landed my first IT job without any previous commercial experience or certifications, but with a degree, so it can be done. It shows a certain level of determination and understanding of concepts. The thing is, I did my degree in Business Management, then went into IT. Although I know my degree won't be highly valued as a low end IT tech, I know once I'm certified and have experience it will be worth a lot more.

I do agree however that with more students being pushed through university, this may become less applicable. In my current role however, I know that it was my degree that got me employed.

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’ve just started going over what I missed – and this happened to be one of them…

BM, Fair enough…
    I read your last line and took to mean more than what was meant.

My point was a degree and certs can open opportunities; but not having one can rob companies of getting good talent; and talented people not having an opportunity to even meet with the hiring brass.

Technically, I didn't have either for my break into IT (helpdesk / Junior Sys Admin), or my most recent one - Sr. role.