How do Agencies work..?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So, I've been browsing for IT helpdesk jobs, just generally looking around at the market not so much applying. I've noticed that ALOT of these positions are being advertised on behalf of the actual employer. Now I'm not to familiar with how agencies work... but say an agency rang and said to come in for an interview and it all went well, would I then need to do an interview with the actual employer also? now let's say I got the job, would I be employed by the agency and not the "employer"?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Generally speaking the agency is acting on behalf of their client (the employer).

The employer tasks the agency with finding suitable candidates for the role, now either the agency can interview candidates themselves to find out if they want to forward them to the client for the interview, or they can look at the CV from the candidate, speak to him on the phone and if the candidate is happy to be put forward for the role then he will get an interview.

If successful on the interview you would be hired and work for the employer, the employer would pay the agency a finders fee after a period of time (usually after passing any kind of probation), you would be paid by the employer, not the agency.

This changes if you were a contractor but at this stage I wouldn't suggest looking at that route just yet.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.