How cool is your server room?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Boycie, Dec 11, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What? You'll have to speak up!!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

With 14 servers, 2 air con units and the schools drum teacher in the room next door, I don't go down there is I have a headache :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well thats more likely to be due to the drum teacher than 14 bloody servers
    :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

According to the sensor, my server room is 24C. However the sensor is next to the door and the air-con unit was fixed so that it blows cold air in the middle of the room :( (this was the only place they could fit the air-con unit). So 24c at either end and about 20c in the middle.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

the one at work has to be about 10 degrees judging by the tempreture the chocolates we had stored in there as gifts for the staff.

i couldent tell you an exact temp as no one is alowed in there except the Ops manager and the Server crews. any one else in there would face the chance of getting shot or taken out of the building rather fast.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Lets face it mate, it wasn't a great choice for a server room / workshop / office anyway. Too small and now quite noisy with all the servers we have on the go. The aircon is in a crap position and also not powerful enough for the number of the servers. So when it gets quite warm, it overloads and ices up the blades, then starts to leak.

One of these days when the servers expire and us along with them, they might upgrade the thing. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Slightly OT.

Have you ever noticed when folks move into a new office. The people planning the move and where everything is going to be placed, the last thought is given to the IT infrastructure.

When I was working for a massive government backed rail project. I volunteered to help the IT manager and one of the analysts set up a new depot.

The guys put all of the RJ 45 sockets and wiring where we wanted.

When we got there to install the thin clients, someone decided to move all of the desks, so a) the thin clients would be too far away from the sockets, so any cabling would cause a trip hazard, or b) some thoughtful person putting a filing cabinet in front of newly installed sockets.

And users wonder why we get so pi$$ed off having to scramble under their desks because they've decided to have a move round and the convienient sockets have been blocked in.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well where I work IT is the last thing the firm thinks of when bidding for contracts. The parent company is very good with server room set ups but the Ltd company I work for don't seem to give a shite! Well us IT bods do, but the general managers don't. Sometimes we're lucky to share a server room wih the parent company but that doesn't happen often!!!

So we have one site up north that has a poweredge rack mount server, UPS, Cisco 48 port switch, Packeteer PacketShaper, BT ADSL router, 5 ISDN lines and ye average patch panel...tempreture in the summer = 25c + and tempreture in the Winter = 25c +

SHOCKING! And they're 6 other sites like this an they really don't give a toss! I can't wait until one of the servers fail!

I did challenge one branch manager about the situation and asked him why he hasn't put in aircon? His reponse was "the staff don't get aircon, so why should the server room get it?" I was quite close to calling him a tw@t but instead I told him that when his server fails due to a tempreture issue dell will not honour the warrenty! And so he'll have to purchase a new server that will cost twice as much as the aircon unit we said he needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two weeks later he orderd an Aircon unit to go in there!

So that's one site down only 6 others to go!!!

Numpties!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, I’ve heard that a few times. :biggrin

Last time the boss said, “No way, if the servers get air con then the staff will demand it as well!”

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Love it. The answer to that should be:

"The staff not getting aircon means they will bitch and moan for a while then get the f*** over it. The servers not getting aircon means the business will probably fail when one of the servers inevitably dies and (poin t finger at PHB at this point) you will be out of a job"

Honestly, I hate tools like that. Working in IT can be stressful enough without some oxygen thief making boneheaded decisions. That's why, although it means you can't get away with bullshitting, its always better, IMHO, to have a direct manager who knows what he/she is talking about technically. I don't want to have to explain what a bloody VLAN is, or why the UPS on a rack needs to be load-tested before another server is punted into it, or what the difference between a hub and a switch is, or why a server's disks need to be stress-tested before its put into a production environment, or the difference between a stateful and a stateless firewall (all things I've had to explain in the last month at work - not to my manager, but to the bloody SERVER ADMIN!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Simple solution, move all of the staff into the server room :D

12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You think I want the staff near the server? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could always booby trap the racks if their fingers did start wandering :twisted:

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'm not going to say this is an exageration as any "Server Admin" worth he's or her job role should at least know what a stateful or stateless firewall is. Well there should be no excuse as the inbuilt windows firewall should be enough to give a hint - Windows firewall = stateful.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell