Problem How can I test if Windows 10 will run well on my pc?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juelz, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont really want to upgrade without being certain I wont get compatibility issues. Im wondering whether running it in a VM will be enough to determine whether it will run ok.

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Juelz,

This article on ZDNet talks through how to check your upgrade status.

Also here's the Windows 10 Specs page, which will give you some idea of compatibility: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/Windows-10-specifications. Of course some apps may need to be updated to work well with Windows 10.

Part of the fun in upgrading is finding something that doesn't work and then fixing it - or maybe that's just me.

3. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

Nope, not just you @crazy horse. I'm the same way. @Juelz if you do the upgrade instead of a fresh install you have thirty days to roll back to your previous version of Windows :thumbleft

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There are a few things you can do to validate and see if Windows 10 will run well on your PC.

Hardware Validation:

1. Check the system requirements for things like CPU, Memory, GPU, Motherboard, etc (Windows 10 is spec'd the same as Windows 7)
    2. For the hardware that you currently have in your PC, validate to see if Windows 10 drivers already exist (Probably a good practice to download the drivers before the upgrade)
    3. If the drivers do exist, check out the release notes to see what fixes were applied or what is currently not supported under Windows 10

Software Validation:

1. You can try and deploy a Windows 10 VM with all the software you normally run on your desktop PC to validate if there are any compatibility issues
    2. You can also use something like VMware converter to P2V your desktop into a VM and run the upgrade from there (this is probably a good test for validation of software, but not a good test for validation of hardware

These checks will give you a good insight as to whether or not Windows 10 upgrade would work well. From my experience so far, there aren't many issues and most apps work just like they did in previous versions of Windows. I had one issue with my AV where HIPS was not compatible with Windows 10, but that was addressed in the first week of Windows 10 release so the app vendors are working fast on getting their software fully supported.

I would also recommend that you do an image backup of your current PC, just in case you want to roll back and want to avoid reinstalling all the apps. I personally did the upgrade and had no issues, but then once I upgraded my product key, I did a clean install and was able to install all my apps without any issues.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

The problem with that is some devices just dont yet have drivers for W10 which I learnt when upgrading my laptop. The touchpad stopped working which is now a common problem with acers which have upgraded.

6. Steevvy

Steevvy New Member

you ever know until you try )
    And I'm not sure you can downgrade.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP
    WIP: VCI
  7. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

Did you give it a try on your pc?