Hot hot hot!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

DC\File server, Exchange, SQL and a new Terminal Server.

Basically migrating to new hardware and adding a new TS. The customer is happy with the existing setup but the hardware is old school. It was running Windows 2000 many years ago and we rebuilt the domain onto Server 2003 so just a hardware refresh this time round with no new software\OS changes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Among the self-built desktop computers I have in my "work room", I run lab tests on some Dell servers I picked up from an old job of mine.

At one time I was running 6 Dell 1750's, and my god were they loud (those thin pizza box 1U servers have very fast fans). My room got roasty as well...

Since then, I've given away a few of them and run only 2 Dell 1750's and two Dell 2650's. For 32bit boxes, I've crammed them with 3-4 gigs of ram, dual 2.8ghz cpu's and a bunch of 72-146gig disks. Only thing I cant seem to find is a nice rack (8-12U) to dump 'em in :(

Racks are crazy expensive here, grrrrr... And a place in the UK isn't willing to ship to Switzerland. But if I get one, I'd be able to add my kvm + kvm switch, router and other things into it, that would be sweet.

Anyway, I don't run these things all the time, I use my core i7 rig with 12 gigs of ram running Hyper-V for the latest apps, but the Dell's are good for nlb/cluster/vmware testing :) (the 2650's are quieter than the 1750's, thank god).

I need to find my camera and let you guys take a peek. I got this all for free too, it's useful to keep ties to your old job sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cool beans mate, always nice to have a play :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5