hosting worries

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by mallet, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I would say my site is about 90% complete and just finishing the search function to become the default search.
    The one worry I have right now is hosting strangely enough.

My site will let users upload flash files onto the site. maybe one day, a user will upload a file that 'could' potentially be copyrighted issue. as every time I read about the terms and condition of hosting packs, they always mention something like they will stop your site.... period.

I am not sure what my option are. When my site does go live, (trust me you guys will be the first to know ;)) I could filter out all the crap out which my CMS can do. and see how the builds from there.
    and how much effort and money will it cost to build a web server at home? or are there better alternatives hosting packs? as the test site I am currently using is godaddy on the linux pack.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I have a VPS with Layershift (www.layershift.co.uk) and, as far as I know, with that I am responsible for the content that I or my customers upload. Might be a way for you to work it ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You can use anything for a web server effectively. I run a wordpress blog from my regular PC on weekends just to test things out.

Its bandwidth that would be the problem, and processing power etc.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I think he is more concerned about the content that someone could potentially upload to his box and his legal standing for copyright/piracy etc

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for that. is that a work around as to letting a hosting company host your site without all the terms and conditions? as I asked a similar question to one of my hosting companys and told me to get a VPS.

correct. I did come across this site that I am trying to get a bit more info on the subject before I launch my site:
    http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33

-Mallet

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Suggest you use the Live Chat at Layershift and speak to Andrew (Operations Director) or his right hand man, Damien.

If you explain what you're doing they should be able to set you straight.

7. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for that. that really helped alot and got to chat with the awesomeness, that is Damien. he gave some really good advise and he cleared up more info on the responsibility side of things as well. thats what you call excellent customer service :)

-Mallet

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yup ! Really good guys. Recommended to me by the guy who runs inx-gaming.com when I had a problem and needed to move hosts for my VPS in a hurry. The Layershift guys just moved everything over fr me with no hassles.

Glad it helped :thumbleft