Hosting (newbie)

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Torrix, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Torrix

Torrix Bit Poster

Morning

If you have read some of my threads you will know I have just started the looooong journey to become a web designer/developer.

Now I am about 0.0001% in so far and have got to grips with the basic HTML. I am using file:///C:/ with notepad at the moment.

What I want to do (as least cost) is to get some web space so I can throw my feeble attempts up and have a play around (also doing a stag do page for my best man thing, so need to give link to people etc)

Every where I look they all have “simple and easy to use” web design programs on so “if you can browse the web” you can build a web page. NO NO NO :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I want to write it all from scratch and learn something.

Anyone know of a cost effective way to do this or a recommendation for a site where I can use my own stuff.

Thanks in advance. (also do people look at people’s work on here to give feed back???)

Torix

WIP: MSTS & MSPD
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Notepad and html and I am pretty sure you can do it through word too.

This is about the cheapest way I know of.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

one.com has very cheap hosting
    with php / mysql included
    only one domain per site though

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. Torrix

Torrix Bit Poster

Thanks

I am getting used to that side its that actual side of it.

Its getting the page/pages I have on the net.

Torrix

WIP: MSTS & MSPD
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are a few places that will give you free webspace - try Google and check out if your ISP offers you any.

Most hosting packages start off pretty cheap if you just want something basic and domain names are pretty cheap too. I started off with Pickaweb as they had pretty good tutorials etc to get you started.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

always used Lunarpages. Very reasonable and found there support helpful with database errors. Certforums use them too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT