Hoping to pick your brains!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jordaldinho, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jordaldinho

Jordaldinho New Member

Hi everyone,

Im looking into an IT career but i havnt got a clue where to start!
    Something on paper would be my best bet and ive been looking into all sorts of ways to get them.
    I want people to share with me info on the best route to take for self study?
    Firstly what Certification should i start with?
    What are your views on distance learning companys like Advent or Computeach etc, and are they trust worthy?
    Or how about getting the materials on my own and doing it that way?

I know its alot to ask but i dont want to spend £5000 on MCSE courses and get stuffed so to speak...
    Thanks for letting me have my little rant, and i hope your knowledge and experience will help me take the right steps.

Jord:blink

WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jordaldinho and welcome to CF:), I'd go for the A+ cert through self study by acquiring the books and a spare computer to carry out breaks and fixes on.

When you have a moment look through the A+ forum on the site for more information. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

The A+ is an excellent starting place. And I would encourage you to use self-study methods... it'll certainly be a lot cheaper. And you can do it, I promise you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

I'm new to IT also and have just passed the Comptia A+ using self study only. I agree it would be the best place to start. Try buying a couple of books and checking out the free resources on YouTube and the excellent Professor Messers website.

This will give you a feel for things without spending loads of money up front.

Good luck