Hiya folks (yet another noob!)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Omi., Feb 14, 2009.

1. Omi.

Omi. New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, having stumbled upon it while trying to sort my life out!

I'm 29, and have pretty much drifted through life the last 7 or 8 years without realising it. I started a BSc Information Systems degree in 2004, and just found it to be nothing like I was expecting (mounds and mounds of theoretical learning, relatively little actual computing content), and as a result, have given it very little effort. As of today, it still remains incomplete, and while I do intend to finish it (for personal pride if nothing else), I highly doubt I will get any decent kind of job solely on the strength of a mediocre degree from a notoriously substandard university.

I've been thinking for a while about getting some IT certifications to help improve my prospects, but I'm not really sure which, and would appreciate some advice from others on the matter. One I have previously considered is the Oracle DBA certification, since the databases module I did was one of the few that I actually enjoyed. But I have been told that there is less demand these days, and I wouldn't want to waste time on an exam that ultimately won't get me anywhere. This seems as good a place as any to get the kind of advice and direction I'm seeking, so all responses most welcome

Omi.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Oracle is still very strong in the DB area of IT, however it has very strong competition from the likes of MS SQL and the growing MySQL.

As you do not have any experience in IT, but wish to gain professional certification with the view to become a DBA, then I would say:

1. Finish your degree sooner rather than later &
    2. Take a look into entry level DBA certs like the CMA which is an entry level cert for DBA's offered by MySQL.

I would not recommend going the higher level professional certs, as professional certs are there to reflect your job role/responsibilities and not to be used as a substitute for experience.

We can't tell you which area of IT to go into, as that is a personal decision that only you can make.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome:)

I agree with what Ken has said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Omi.

Omi. New Member

Hi and thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I just wanted some general information to help make my mind up, rather than to have my mind made up for me. DBA was just a consideration, due to me having enjoyed studying a small element of databases and SQL. As of yet, I'm still undecided as to what area of IT I wish to go into, mainly because I don't fully know all the areas available (if that makes sense lol). A lot of these training institutions just offer the training for all these certs without really stressing the need for experience, giving the impression that anyone can just turn up, learn the criteria, and be on their way to an IT career. Also, I wanted an idea of what kind of certs are in demand in today's marketplace, as I'm aware that a lot of people are just doing them, and not really getting anywhere with them after

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.:)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Oracle's not gonna do you any good at this stage of your budding IT career, because no employer will hire someone to administer a production database with no real-world IT experience.

As far as the area of IT you want to go into... you don't really have to decide the narrow-focus specialization you want to go for right at this moment... you only have to decide whether you want to go down the track of being a 1) techie/admin guy, 2) programmer/codehead guy, or 3) Web designer guy. In each case, you'll start at the bottom and work your way up over time, gaining valuable real-world experience as you go. :)

Once you've chosen your track, we can help start you in the right direction. If you have any questions, we're here to assist!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!