Hiding The Little Hand

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Apr 16, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know how i can hide the hang that is displayed when i share the c drive. As i want to share the c drive on a computer without the user knowing that it is shared. Ive tryed changing the icon but theres no option any ideas?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've never heard that was possible. But that doesn't mean that it is impossible!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

why do you want to remove it Jack? Very sinister :D .

Anyway, try this page of registry hacks - Number 119. I haven't tried it myself so I'd test it on a lab machine first.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

206 seems to be the one that Jack is after, Baba - however, like you say, I ain't trying it first !!!! Nice to see they have an "Undo" link for each hack though.

Top link, mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Didn't spot that one first time, :oops: .

I've used hacks from this site before with no problems but you never know...

Still, isn't that what system restore is for?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

of course, the c: drive is always shared automatically so all you really need to do is access it by c$ and others won't be able to see it in the normal shares.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, _omni_ is correct you don't need to share the C drive as it is shared by default. :biggrin

8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I just want to be able to look at peoples c drives without them knowing im looking . :twisted:

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

That is also the goal of hackers and crackers too. If they can't get through the front door, then they get "help" by infecting the target computer with a virus, adware, or spyware to help them in their reaching their goal.

If you value the trust given to you by those people, and the extended trust they may have in any and all future computer technicians who work on their computers, I wouldn't do this if I were you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

When i started to repair comps. i was doing the same thing, looking at all the info on their computer once i done the backup-it never took me long to realise that what i people have on their system has no use or interest whatsoever to me.

Now i just backup and go..

Jackd - be careful out there...