Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sheepluv, Oct 5, 2010.

1. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Hi,

Ive been on here before, about a year ago but I thought I would introduce myself a bit more.

I work in a school doing all sorts of IT support (5 servers,300 odd wks,lappies) and have Linux and Windows server 2003/08 running. Been doing this for 10 years now but think I need to do some Certs and if I decided to go somewhere else I maybe better placed with certs?

I have read some Minasi stuff on Windows server 2003 mostly but I think there is going to be missing gaps and stuff I havent needed to do, not that bigger setup etc. so dont want to get into thinking I already now it all 8)

Done a CCNA in 2003 so out of date a bit but was thinking of the MCITP stuff, ordered 70-646 book because I still need to learn the new stuff in 2008 and have only used my prior experience to upgrade to 2008.

edit: Also considering ITIL foundation if that is helpful on Managing networks, Techs etc.. Setup the current helpdesk setup myself over the years and would of benefited greatly from seeing the correct way to do it all, emphasis with manglement etc..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  2. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Welcome.

The regular advice handed out on here is 'cert on what you work with', the MCSA and MCSE are valuable certs to have and will hold their worth well going forward so I'd suggest that working through the MS cert path for 2003 would be a worthwhile enterprise. With your experience you should be able to gain a nice collection of certs fairly quickly.

Then once you've got the '03 certs you can take the necessary upgrade exams to '08 as and when you want.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

As you work in the eduation environment, take a look into FITS instead. I've done both level 4 & 5 and I can say it's based on ITIL (with a different end emphasis), but less dry :)

I did a basic comparison on FITS/MOF/ITIL a while ago here on Edugeek.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

MCITP with 2008 Certs sounds good start for me, see what I can get them to pay for the books/exams at work. See how it goes .. :) If I really wanted to pin all my experience down I guess i'd do 2003 Certs first.

Just reading, thanks Ken. I have seen FITS compliant helpdesks to.

9. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Also another reason I think Certs maybe useful is because I do get bored of my job. I get things setup and get by managing them (although there maybe better practices ..).
    Im also hoping for some improvment in attitude/confidence and enjoyment of the technology, and to look at it all in a wider sense if you get me. Maybe more recognition even if it is somewhere else and im sure we all know how software looks simple from the outside to end-users/inexperienced management etc.. wheres in reality its usually a big can of worms etc..
    Im rambling a bit now :biggrin

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple