Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Zep52, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Zep52

Zep52 New Member

My first post so here we go, have been in the oil & gas industry as an HMI tech for last 10 years, worked on major projects including BNFL, Caspian, and Pearl, to name a few, now find myself without work and no certification with which to compete on the job market !!

Am going to start training soon with a provider, prob NITLC, but hesitant to commit due to horror storys, any advice would be welcomed guys, am thinking of going for the new 2008 MCSA, :eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Have you considered self study? Its a whole lot cheaper for a start!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Zep52

Zep52 New Member

I have just been looking at the Sybex website, i must admit i had not heard of this company before, but it seems well thought of by a lot of people on this forum, is it something you have any experience of ?

I will deff be looking into it a bit more and would welcome any comments from people with experience of Sybex !

I am keeping my options open for now but will be looking to take the plunge in the next couple of weeks, funnily enough i was just cold called by Computeach, they got my CV from the job sites, but have read a couple of horror stories on this site about them so think i will be giving them a wide berth, it really is a mine field out there in terms of training providers but this forum is steering me in the right direction.

4. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Hi Zep52

I have worked for the above, if you want to drop me a PM, I will let you know what they are really all about

FA

5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome! I think you'll find that most people here recommend self study instead of classroom training. As you mentioned, there are a lot of horror stories around training providers. That being said, there are also good training providers out there; they're just harder to find, unfortunately.

6. Zep52

Zep52 New Member

Well thanks for the welcome guys, i read a post on here yesterday from Zimbo on self study and that has inspired me to go down the self study route, went onto Amazon this morning and purchased the recomended books for the Comptia A+ cert and as soon as they arrive i will throw myself into the unknown !!

You can expect to be hearing from me over the coming months,

Cheers

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

There is no MCSA 2008, the new job related certificate is the MCITP: Server Admin.

However I do have a question, I thought HMI Techs dealt with the following: Remote controls, mobile phones, PDAs, and other handheld devices to security systems, automotive dashboards, industrial controls, payment systems, medical equipment, and marine applications. Rather than standard Windows PC's and server... Is this not the case anymore?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Zep52

Zep52 New Member

You are correct, but most of the big players, ABB, Honeywell, Yokagowa, Siemens etc have in the last 10 or so years moved to windows based engineering suites,

ABB for instance, who i was with for 8.5 years use a suite called PPA (Process Portal A) which is completely windows based, it has its pros and cons, but the oil & gas industry seem to be driving the ICSS industry down the windows road, albeit tentitively, so here i am having to gain certs at 47 !!!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. ms5er

ms5er Bit Poster

Stick with Self Study, I have had dealings with NITLC - Don't go splashing £££££

Create your own study plan + Stick with Certforums + buy the books yourself.