Hi..

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ben(f34k), Jul 31, 2008.

1. ben(f34k)

ben(f34k) New Member

Hello every one,
    my name is Ben and I'm a chef working in London. I'm currently looking at jobs in IT and how to get here mainly in network admin and the such. but not shore where to start and these forums look promising. I have nothing other than an IT GCSE, but have been playing with / building PC's and networks all my life, any advice will be welcome. I have looked at training schemes like "advent" but they seem incomplete or expensive.
    Thanks a lot Ben ;)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You do not need a company like advent you can study for IT certs on your own by reading the recommended material and practicing what you learn.

You should have a look at compTIA A+ as your starting point it covers the basics you need to know to be an entry level technican. Then you could moved on to compTIA N+ this covers the findamentals of networking and the you could do the MCDST which covers supporting Windows XP.

Not many people start of in a networking role, most people start as IT techs or help desk techs then progress into networking.

If you consider the A+ the best books to get are PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles and compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and old PC from a recycling centre or second hand shop would help too.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Like GBL also stated start with the A+, you can do this via the self-study route or if you want to do this via the class based route, I would suggest contacting you local college(s). As some of them do the A+ in conjunction with the iPRO (so you'll get 2 quals) at a fraction of the course :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. ben(f34k)

ben(f34k) New Member

Thanks for all the advice this is really use full defenlty going to buy the "A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide" and the "PC Technician street smarts" books.
    Is the iPro course similar to the A+ ? I cant find much more info about it. Also why did you advise getting an old PC ? not shore my GF would like that hehe, but i have used/built pc's all my life so I'm used to older systems
    Thanks a lot for you're help,
    Ben ;)

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you practise on an old PC you aren't endangering anything important - like the GF's vital email access!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Ben, and welcome to CF, I'd advice you purchase the Mike Meyers all in one A+ cert book and stay studying at home at your own pace.

I believe with your hands on experience gaine through building PC's and basic network setup you'd do fine. This would save lots of £££ plus put you in a better stead of landing your first real IT role. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

welcome to CF

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice already given above - you don't need an expensive training course.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!