Hi there

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jonnyb, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jonnyb

jonnyb New Member

this is my first post on this forum infact my first post on any forum for that matter.

i'm trying my hardest at the moment to find the best certs to take for someone wanting to start a job in IT i have just completed a Btec in computer engineering and now am looking for the best route forward. my plan is to do the A+ next followed by the N+ working upto MCSE and possibly CCNA if required. if anyone has any tips for me to realise quickly and succesfully without having to pay @dvent or like company 6K for the privilage i would much appriciate it. also if there are any tips for finding employers who are willing to take a chance with you put you through some of these courses it would be greatly recieved

thanks

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A+ and N+ are a good starting point, I'd suggest adding the MCDST to the mix as well. MCSE is for those who already having real world experience of server administration and can be a negative mark against you without relevant experience. CCNA again is for people working with Cisco kit regularly, so leave it until you are.

As for finding a job? polish the CV up and get out and applying, only thing which will find you a job at the moment is hard work and perseverance.

Oh and welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. jonnyb

jonnyb New Member

thanks very much all advice is very welcome

4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

To echo what josiahb said above, start with the A+ and the N+ and then try to get your foot in the door as a technician. Adding the MCDST can help, too, but I wouldn't do too much more than that until you have a chance to get some experience.

By the time I got the MCSE, I had almost two years of actual server and network admin experience. I wouldn't have been ready if I'd tried to get it sooner, even though I probably could have passed the exams.

5. jonnyb

jonnyb New Member

whats the best angle of approach to attain the A+ i've look at more companies than i care to imagine offering this that and the other seems to me like all they wants my cash!! :x am i just as well buying the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide and booking my own tests ?? not sure what support they can really offer me that i can't find out myself using the internet and useful forums like this