Hi there CF!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SHLaval, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SHLaval

SHLaval New Member

Dear All,
    I have been browsing your excellent Forum which I came across searching for information about IT training - but I'm getting ahead of myself! First, an introduction.....

My background is in Life Sciences. I have a BSc and a PhD and 16 years research experience in molecular genetics. I am currently working as an academic researcher. So, why am I here posting on CF? Well, call it a mid-life crisis if you will, but I find myself in need of a career change. Actually, it is driven by an ongoing realisation that my employer is taking me for a ride, my salary has been static for 4 years and my future prospects are extremely bleak. I have just been given a new job which is basically doing all the rubbish admin that my bosses can't be bothered with, I am bored as hell, my funding is shaky to the say the least and I need a change.

As I am in my early forties and have dependents and a large mortgage, my options are limited. I have always been interested in computers and a fairly competent user. As a hobbyist, I built a few systems and I can manage a lot of IT related tasks. A few years back I taught myself C++ for fun (I have always been interested in game programming) and then slid into C#, again just for fun. Along the way I have tried to learn as much as I can about computer fundamentals, networking, OS etc.

Having decided to jump ship I contacted Advent, Computeach and Skillstrain just to get some feedback (before I found CF). Advent have accepted me on an MCSE course (£4500) and they reckon I could get work in 4-6 months at £30K with a 2 year target of £45K. This seemed fairly optimistic to me, especially since I made it clear I wasn't going to move (I am based in NE England). Computeach are going to talk to me in a couple of weeks about a broader package including C# programming and web design.

So, I really need some sound advice. The advantage of firms like Advent is they provide recruitment direct into industry, which for someone like me is a big help. Is this a correct impression? Would you guys advise me to go with these big providers of try and strike out on my own?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks to anyone who made it to the end!

2. South East Jedi

South East Jedi New Member

Hi There

I am also on the Avent MCSE Course, and i can tell you that they are the best i have come across when i first began to hear about home study, i took a look and went to interviews with 2 other home study companies and there where both more expensive and a lot more hassle to deal with than Advent. As for them being able to find you work i do beleive that they contact you after you have finished your module 2 exam if you pass. i have not yet done my module 2 exam but i am hoping to take it within the next 3 weeks so i'll be keeping everyone i come across from advent updated.

Cheers
    SEJ

WIP: MCP, MCSE
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

A couple of points from your post.

There is no need to spend lots of money on IT courses you can go the self study route and save yourself a lot of money.

Do you have any "real world" IT experience under your belt i.e. least 6-12 months in an IT related job, not including the hobbyist stuff? If you haven't forget about the MCSE course, you're not ready for that yet.

You are better starting off with the A+ then whilst you are doing the A+ apply for some entry level positions or even volunteer to gain the experience.

Do not be wooed by the claims of earning big money, it's a ploy to get you to part with your hard earned cash, training providers that make such promises need to be strung up by their short and curlies.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's makes me laugh :)

First of all MS states:

Second of all, no-one is going to pay that much £30 for an entry level person with no real world experience.

Best bet would be to start at the beginning and do the A+ and Network+ and build on that :)

BTW, welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

More like £12k-20k for the first job and after that it is difficult to tell. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As everyone else has said, Advent are talking crap. 45k yeeeah riiiight

As Sparky said maybe 12-20k.

BTW Welcome

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Agreed that the salary they're tempting you with is absolute crap, its just sales talk to make you go for it.

By the sounds of it, the "recruitment into the industry" is another way of trying to sell you on the course, take it all with a pinch of salt!

Welcome to CF by the way :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nobody can guarantee you a job unless they have the job they are going to give you. In short, I'd take those job "recruitment guarantees" with a huge grain of salt.

I know that the cost of living is less here in the US than the UK... but I didn't make £30K annually until I had been in the IT industry for about 7 years, and I have yet to hit £45K.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. SHLaval

SHLaval New Member

Thanks to all for your advice. My naivety has been tempered! Plan B - self study for CompTIA A+, then N+ then think about it.

Thanks again.

S:blink